Discussion Topics

« Return to Announcements

NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Awards * Nominations Due: 10/15/2010

The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) is a coalition of more than 200 corporations, academic institutions, government agencies and nonprofits working to increase women’s participation in IT. Each year NCWIT’s “aspirations in computing” awards honor high school women for their computing-related achievements and interests.

Awardees are selected for computing and IT aptitude, leadership ability, academic history and plans for post-secondary education. Sponsors include Bank of America, the Motorola Foundation, Microsoft and Google.

Students can apply for the awards between September 6 and October 15, 2010. The 2011 national awards ceremony will take place next March 1 at Bank of America HQ in Charlotte, NC. More information, applications and a listing of competitions are available at http://www.ncit.org/.

In addition to the national awards program, a growing series of affiliate awards with regional and local partners is planned. For information on hosting an affiliate event contact Ruthe Farmer, ruthe.farmer@colorado.edu.

Replies to this Topic

I've had the pleasure of volunteering as a judge for NCWIT and the "Aspirations in Computing" awards.

I enjoy the diversity of each of the nominees and reading how they are applying technology in their lives. I also like system the organization uses to judge the competition.

I would recommend signing up to be a judge for anyone with a few hours on a Sautrday or Sunday afternoon. It's online so I do it from the comfort of home.

By the way, Ruthe Farmer will be at the 2010 BDPA Technology Conference in Philly. She is coming to talk to our young ladies about opportunities in Computer Science and Information Technology.  Ruthe presents on Thursday at 1:30 I believe.

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA