Dallas

This topic created to discuss all things related to BDPA Dallas Chapter...

Replies to this Topic

Looking for HSCC Volunteers

HSCC (High School Computer Competition) is the flagship of our student programs. The class teaches middle and high school students how to create web applications.

For more information on the class, see the HSCC Class Flyer.

We are looking for volunteers of varying background and time commitment. Below are the descriptions of the volunteer roles we are looking to fill:

Role Title: Classroom Assistant
Responsibilities: Help students complete their assignments and monitor students' behavior
Time Commitment: Attend at least 3 of the 12 classroom sessions
Desired Background: None

Role Title: Classroom Instructor
Responsibilities: Teach the provided materials, assign exercises, help students as well as provide direction to Classroom Assistants
Time Commitment: Attend at least 3 of the 12 classroom sessions; review the lessons PRIOR to the class
Desired Background: Some type pf programming

Role Title: Lead Instructor
Responsibilities: Same as Classroom Instructor PLUS create the lesson plans & homework assignments, keep grades, provide direction to other instructors
Time Commitment: Attend at least 6 of the 12 classroom sessions
Desired Background: Some type pf programming

Role Title: Classroom Coordinator
Responsibilities: Set-up/shutdown/clean-up of the classroom, distribute/maintain supplies (if needed), arrange lunch (if needed), collection of homework/tests
Time Commitment: Attend at least 8 of the 12 classroom sessions
Desired Background: None

Role Title: HSCC Coordinator
Responsibilities: MUST chaperone students to Raleigh, collect all paper work (i.e. registration forms, medical releases, biographies) and submit to HSCC Judges
Time Commitment: Must attend the BDPA conference (Chapter will pay for travel expenses)
Desired Background: Previous experience working with youth

If any of you are interested in volunteering, please reply to info@bdpa-greaterdallas.org. We will have a brief Volunteer Orientation prior to the regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, April 28, 2009. See below.

Volunteer Orientation
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Time: 6:30 PM
Place: Center for Community Cooperation
                 2900 Live Oak St
                 Dallas, TX 7204

BDPA Dallas (founded September 1987) is the 12th largest chapter in the nation. The chapter has not participated in the National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championships for a couple of years.

The highest national ranking for Dallas chapter's HSCC team in the past has been 11th place (2002 and 2007). The chapter plans to do much better this year as displayed in the following video :

I wonder if any of the other chapters will respond with a video of their own? Anyhow, we say 'Good Luck' to the young 'uns who will represent BDPA Dallas chapter at the 2010 National BDPA HSCC Championships!
BDPA Education and Technology Foundation ( BETF ) approved an $880 grant disbursement request from BDPA Dallas chapter . The funds will be used to allow a chapter representative to attend the annual High School Computer Competition coordinator's meeting set to take place in Naples FL later this year.
Kai Dupé is a brother who has been advocating for Blacks in technology via his articles, blogs, presentations and online radio shows. Kai agreed to participate in our recurring 'Take Five' interview series.

1. How did you get involved with BDPA? - I actually do not remember how I got involved with BDPA. I know that my first interaction with BDPA was via BDPA Dallas vice president of member services Donna Tyler. She sent out a request for speakers. She told me that she received my name from you (Wayne Hicks) as a result of my presentation done at the National Conference that year. I think that may have been 2007 when the conference was in Washington DC. Once I connected with BDPA and you that was it for me. BDPA for Life!
  2. What do you see as the biggest benefit of BDPA membership? - In my mind the biggest benefit of BDPA is the community. One of the main challenges our people face when choosing a career in Information Technology whether it be in corporate America or on the college campus is isolation. As as software developer for over 25 years, I have always been the only Black software developer on the team and it has been no different on most of my corporate positions since college. This problems persists today. The ability to connect with a community of Black IT professionals, and take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience of those who have taken the same journey is is the biggest benefit in my opinion.
  3. What future evolution or change would you like to see in BDPA? -
  4. What would you like the Black community to know about BDPA? - I would like MORE of the Black community to be AWARE that BDPA exists. I am baffled by this. But as I speak, mentor and connect with our people and direct them to connect with BDPA more times than not, they are not aware of BDPA. This is unfortunate. I work very hard to make sure that our people who are interested in careers in technology locate their local chapter and take advantage of all of the good work that BDPA is doing.
  5. Any advice for people considering a donation to BETF? - My advice would be to donate. We have many problems and issues in the Black community for sure. But I consider the digital divide to be our generation's civil rights issue. We must close this gap. Technology gives us access to the economic engine of this country and we cannot continue to lag. No organization is more equipped and more dedicated to closing this gap than BDPA. My advice would be to give and give often.

Share some love with Kai in the COMMENTS section!
Stacy Stewart
BDPA Dallas chapter is bodacious in its planning and its ambitions for the coming year. The chapter has been growing its membership and building a steady flow of programs for IT professionals in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As we have learned ... in BDPA 'everything rises and falls on leadership' ... and BDPA Dallas chapter is blessed to have very strong leaders.

Meet the BDPA Dallas chapter board of directors for 2013:

Stacy Stewart , President
Employer: Health Care Service Corporation

Denise Bagley , President-Elect

Chris Johnson , VP-Finance and Immediate Past President
Employer: Dallas Ft-Worth Airport

Angie Pesek, VP-Membership Management

Debbie Young, VP-Member Services
Employer: JPMorgan Chase

Alicia McKinley, VP-Strategy & Planning
Employer: Dallas Ft-Worth Airport

Please share some love for this remarkable set of volunteer leaders ! In fact, you can encourage them in their 'good works' by making a secure online donation to the college scholarship fund for the High School Computer Competition team trained by BDPA Dallas chapter to compete in next year's championship.
BDPA Dallas chapter is doing some great things this year! These great things include the chapter's continued commitment to the Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. The chapter has been very innovative in their STEM-based training for high school students. The training program uses both an online courses and face-to-face hands-on sessions to teach students how to design and build dynamic websites. The training takes place at South Oak Cliff High School. Up to five of the students in the SITES program may be invited to represent the city and chapter in the National BDPA High School Computer Competition championship taking place next month in Washington DC.

L-R: Emilio Ramos, Xavier Grandberry, Veronica Scott, Jaqueria Lacy and Quintin Neal.

Funding to support the SITES program in Dallas currently comes from BlueCross BlueShield of IL, NM, OK and TX, JPMorgan Chase, membership dues and generous supporters like you !
BDPA Dallas chapter (founded in 1987) has been on the journey towards winning a national BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship for over 20 years. The chapter leaders shared some of their thoughts on impact that the Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program has had on them and the students who receive this STEM-based training in this video:

The SITES program in Dallas is a collaborative learning experience that gives students an opportunity to develop higher order thinking skills and problem solving in a real world context. They will learn how to create dynamic web sites using HTML, CSS, PHP and JAVA. Participants develop interpersonal, teamwork skills and they learn how to create and develop presentations. These students will also learn public speaking skills, time management skills, how to set and achieve goals and working in a team environment.

The 2014 HSCC team being trained by Dallas chapter seeks to win the championship this year!

L-R: Tatiana Madrigal, Maxwell Nwafor, Christion Lankford, Brandon Pham, Chad White (instructor)

The major corporate sponsor for the chapter is JPMorgan Chase.   However, we need our blog readers to do their part ... you can help BDPA Dallas motivate their students by helping them raise funds to give out college scholarships. Please take a moment to make a secure online donation to the BDPA Dallas HSCC Scholarship Fund.

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA