Atlanta

We invite you to share information about BDPA Atlanta chapter events, programs or services in this topic.

BDPA Atlanta chapter founded in June 1981 will play host to the 30th Annual BDPA Technology Conference on August 6-9, 2007.

Replies to this Topic

The tenth annual Black Family Technology Awareness Week (BFTAW) will be celebrated February 10-16 with the assistance of community organizations, schools, clubs, and corporations throughout the country. BDPA Atlanta chapter was chosen as one of 25 elite organizations to receive a grant from Career Communications Group, founder of the Black Family Network. In addition to the grant, the organization will also receive a Black Family Network technology planning kit complete with technology teaching tools and Black Family Technology give-a-ways.

Grant recipients were chosen from scores of program proposals seeking to empower African American participation in the global technology-driven economy. Education, employment, healthcare, national security, and every facet of life are impacted by digital technologies. As a result, African Americans should focus on seizing the power and potential of technology so that they are equipped to succeed in the global economy.

BFTAW is a nationwide public service program geared towards educating and empowering black families through technology. During the course of the week, the nation’s community leaders will highlight technology’s ability to open doors to information, education, and opportunities. Additionally, the importance of technology in everyday life, now and in the future, will be stressed during the thousands of programs throughout the country.

This year’s nationwide week long program will culminate with a coordinating conference, Black Family Technology Empowerment Weekend, at the Baltimore Convention Center. This year’s event will be hosted by NPR’s Mario Armstrong and will be held in conjunction with the Black Engineer of the Year Award Conference.

According to Tyrone Taborn, US Black Engineer and Information Technology magazine publisher and CEO, "The Black Family Technology Awareness Campaign was never about simple Internet access and mere computer ownership, but rather about African Americans becoming true beneficiaries of the many assets of technology and all it has to offer." The US Navy, EMC, and IBM are proud BFTAW sponsors.

Click here for more information about how to join the campaign or contact Nuria Alveraz on (410) 244-7101.
The BDPA Atlanta chapter is hosting their February 2008 program meeting on Feb 27th @ 6pm. The chapter would love to have 100 people in attendance. Can you make it?

Hello Mr. Hicks. I will be there. :-)

Top Companies With Technology, Engineering and Security-Cleared Job Openings are Hiring!

Find your next job at the upcoming 2008 Dice Career Fair in Atlanta on:

Tuesday, March 11
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest
2999 Windy Hill Road
Marietta, GA 30067

Meet hiring managers from companies hiring technology, engineering and security-cleared candidates. Network with industry professionals. Even land an interview. You can do it all at the upcoming Dice Career Fair in Atlanta. Career fairs are FREE, and they are a great way to build your network and explore job opportunities.

Make sure to bring several copies of your resume to the event.

To pre-register visit here.

Participating companies include:

AFLAC Incorporated
ChoicePoint
EchoStar Corporate
General Dynamics IT
Judge Group
NASCO
NuVox
Proven Method

More companies are expected to be added.

Targeted Job Fairs, a Dice Company, produces Dice's technology, engineering and security clearance career fairs.

Note to candidates with security clearance: In addition to attending the career fair, find additional security-cleared jobs online at ClearanceJobs.com, a Dice company.

Why attend a career fair?
Attending a career fair is a great way to bolster your job-seeking efforts. Most prospective employees stick with the traditional methods of finding a job - by answering ads posted in the newspaper or on an online job board. By attending career fairs, you are putting yourself directly in front of the companies that need your skills, giving yourself a leg up on the competition.

What can I expect?
You can expect to meet with recruiters from hiring companies in your community and nationally. The event is designed for candidates to have informative face-to-face discussions with each recruiter.

Who is Targeted Job Fairs?
Targeted Job Fairs (TJF), a Dice company, is the premier producer of career fairs catering to technology, engineering and security-cleared professionals. TJF also assists recruiters and hiring managers by helping them meet face-to-face with hard-to-find technology, engineering and security-cleared professionals. TJF also produces diversity events and individual open houses in several markets for companies seeking experienced candidates in a variety of industries such as sales, marketing, banking, insurance and finance.

With more than 90 events held every year, TJF targets the top national markets to find the best candidates. As a leading career fair company for more than 12 years, TJF is a one-stop, full-service solution for planning, coordinating, promoting and implementing successful career fairs.

TJF's association with Dice - the nation's leading online job board for IT professionals - provides companies and recruiters access to 1.7 million technology and engineering professionals. And, because of its association with ClearanceJobs.com, also a Dice company, TJF has access to 90,000 security-cleared professionals. These connections help TJF hand-deliver high-quality technology, engineering and security-cleared candidates to each TJF event.

To learn more about Dice, visit www.dice.com.
To learn more about Targeted Job Fairs, visit www.targetedjobfairs.com.
To learn more about security clearance jobs or ClearanceJobs.com, visit www.clearancejobs.com.

Dice Inc. - 4101 NW Urbandale Drive, Urbandale, IA 50322

BDPA volunteers work with over 800 students every year in our Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. BDPA Atlanta chapter has been focused on youth education programs for a number of years. One of the young people that took advantage of the SITES program in Atlanta is Hung Vo. Hung shared his thoughts on the training that he received in Atlanta:

Being a public school student with an interest in computer, Internet, and technology, there were not many opportunities for me to pursue that interest, if any. While a senior in high school, I heard from a teacher that BDPA high school computer competition (HSCC) is starting up again in Atlanta. From the BDPA flyer, I knew students trained in HTML, ASP, SQL, and other computer coding languages, which piqued my interest; however, I was hesitant to sign up, because I had joined a similar program, the year before which had turned out to be a bust. Even so, I felt I should not miss this good opportunity. Along with some friends, I decided to enroll in the program.

My first day at BDPA was very exciting. I had met many other students from different schools and districts. I had also met many of the passionate staffs of BDPA’s Atlanta chapter, including President Teresa, Instructor Maurice, and Coach Wes. I remembered how Coach Wes told us like 5000 times how his team had won the HSCC national time a record 4 years in a row. He let us know that winning the national was possible, but only if we worked hard. I knew from that day on that BDPA was the right program to be in ... a program where I could gain computer knowledge and discipline.

The time I spent at BDPA was very enjoyable. Even though Teresa was the president, she would go out of her way and provide us with delicious lunch every Saturday. From Maurice, I learned so much about creating website with HTML and using ASP and SQL to work with the server/client. Coach Wes worked with us on our presentation skills – public speaking, decorum, and the likes. They and along with the other BDPA’s leaders, made me, and I am sure the other students, feel like we were part of a family. That year, my teammates worked hard to win first place but came up a little short – winning 5th place in Atlanta.

Since then, I have graduated from high school and am attending the Georgia Institute of Technology, majoring in computer science. While in BDPA, I knew I was learning a lot, but I did not realize how much I gained from BDPA until now. Besides learning how to write code, which is useful for my computer science class, my experience while in BDPA has enhanced my work ethic, my speaking abilities, and my ability to work with others as a team. All the intangible skills that I have gained from BDPA have helped me to adapt successfully to college. In addition, I still receive email updates from BDPA. One of the BDPA’s leaders, Clarence, continues to send me information on available jobs and internships.

I recently gained Co-op employment thanks to using Coach Wes as my reference. Looking back, I had gained a lot from BDPA then, and the connections I have developed continue to help me in my current and future endeavors. The only bad thing about BDPA is that it was not here in Atlanta when I was a freshman in high school.

Some wonder why I'm regularly seeking donations for BETF. Young 'uns like Hung Vo are the reason. My hope is that you will make a personal decision to provide some type of financial support to our efforts. If not us ... Who?
BETF joins with others in congratulating the winners of recent BDPA Atlanta chapter elections:

BDPA Atlanta , 4th largest chapter in the nation, has been well-served by outgoing chapter president Teresa Williams . Teresa led her chapter to a number of chapter awards and superb performance from the chapter's high school computer competition team. Teresa will remain on the chapter's board of directors in her new role as the immediate past president.

I encourage you to use the REPLY TO TOPIC option below to share some love with these BDPA leaders as they prepare for their new roles within the Atlanta chapter.
BDPA Atlanta chapter elected Carter Hill to take them to the next level. I look forward to seeing how he does over the coming months and years. For now, we are grateful to Carter for participating in our Take Five interview series. Here is what he had to say:

1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - I originally got involved with BDPA back in the year 1994. I was working in Omaha, Nebraska and was beginning to network with various organizations. I had been a member of the National Society of Black Engineers and was intrigued with an organization for African Americans specifically in the IT field. Within a year, I had helped found the Omaha chapter and served as its Treasurer. After moving from the Midwest to Atlanta, I took a break from BDPA. But I've been involved with the Atlanta chapter consistently since 2007 and wouldn't trade these experiences for the world. [NOTE: Carter is shown in photo with past Atlanta chapter president Teresa Williams]
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - The thing I find most rewarding with BDPA is our community outreach particularly the HSCC programs. Our ability to change the lives of young people and show them an alternative is priceless. The mass media seems to want to tell young Black people their only career options are in sports and entertainment. The election of Barack Obama to the Presidency has greatly helped to counter that notion. However, organization like ours working nationally and at the grass roots level still have a lot of work to do. BDPA instills in our students the belief that they can achieve in any legitimate field of endeavor that they wish. If we can do the same at the middle school and collegiate level, then we can definitely live up to our vision of "From the classroom to the boardroom"
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - The defining moment of my life was the day I got a scholarship letter from my undergraduate institute Morris Brown College. Prior to this time nobody on either side of my family had ever attended college. It was then that I realized that dreams can come true and you can change your life through hard work. From that moment forward my life has drastically changed from that of my peers and family. Education and perseverance are key to succeeding in life. I think that is why I believe so deeply in BDPA's mission. When we teach the HSCC students we are not just teaching them web development and database concepts, we are teaching them how to change the course of their lives.
  4. Who is your hero and why? - There are several people that I have admired for their accomplishments like Nelson Mandela, James Doolittle or Paul Robeson. But I can't really say that I have one that I would call a personal hero.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - BETF allows BDPA chapters to function and operate their SITES programs. So I would tell a potential donor to give abundantly and often.

I remember when we had the BDPA chapter in Omaha NE. Although that chapter didn't survive it is wonderful to see that the talent uncovered in Nebraska is still supporting our BDPA efforts! I hope that you will take a moment to share some BDPA-Love with Bro. Hill!
BDPA Atlanta chapter president Carter Hill began his 2-year term on January 1, 2010. He shares his message to chapter members and stakeholders:

Happy New Year!!

It is the dawn of a new decade and a new administration for BDPA Atlanta chapter. I have been proud to serve our chapter for the last two years as its Vice President of Business Management. Working with our leadership team under our immediate past President Teresa Williams has been a rewarding experience for me. Teresa and the team greatly impressed me with their professionalism and dedication to BDPA’s mission. Now it is time to take up the charge and with your support, continue taking the chapter forward.

I look forward to 2010 as a year of opportunity and growth. Our leadership team has been working these past few months on new operational strategies. These strategies will work to maintain our foundation while expanding BDPA Atlanta’s programs to its professional members. Here are some highlights to expect in the coming year:
  • Our monthly meetings will be revamped to better fit the needs of our members by covering topics in these areas:
  1. IT Trends and Technology
  2. Business/Leadership Development
  3. Career Development
  • The expansion of our chapter newsletter incorporating technical articles from our ranks. These articles will provide an opportunity for our talented members to display their skills in the following areas:
  1. Project Management
  2. Business Analysis
  3. Software Development
  • Joint programs and workshops with other professional organizations. BDPA is a unique professional IT organization and we will be making our presence more prominent in the Atlanta area during 2010.
  • Collegiate mentoring programs with our partners DeVry University and Georgia State University.
  • A new technical curriculum for our HSCC program. Our Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES)program director Wes Williams has promised a change that will give our student members cutting edge skills.
The year 2010 will mark the 35th year of BDPA’s existence. In the spirit of our founder’s vision, I invite each of you to seriously consider becoming more active with our chapter. Through greater involvement by our members, our chapter can only grow better and stronger. We look forward to working with each and every one of you during the coming year, as we take our chapter to the next level.

Carter Hill, president
BDPA Atlanta Chapter

Please use the POST REPLY option below to share some encouragement (a.k.a., 'BDPA-love') with Carter and the other leaders from BDPA Atlanta chapter!
BDPA Atlanta High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team members Trene Long-Reed and Hung Vo were each awarded $1,389 in scholarship funding from Oracle Corporation to pursue degrees in the fields of science and technology. The scholarships were presented to each of the students at the chapter's 2009 annual awards banquet.

Hung plans to use his scholarship for his continued studies at Georgia Tech University.  Trene will use her scholarship to offset the expense needed to attend college once she graduates from Redan High School.

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation remembers the talents of both youngsters.  BETF provided an Eli Lilly Scholarship to Hung in 2009 and we are holding a Bemley Scholarship (earned in 2008) for Trene.

You can learn more about BDPA Atlanta chapter here.

Atlanta HSCC 2011 Program . Here are video clips and photos from the national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team trained by BDPA Atlanta chapter. The visual montage is put together in a manner to inspire the next generation of high school students to compete in the chapter's 2011 HSCC program.

Find the original YouTube clip here.
BETF joins with others in congratulating the winners of recent BDPA Atlanta chapter elections:
BDPA Atlanta , 2nd largest chapter in the nation, has been well-served by outgoing chapter president Carter Hill . Carter led his chapter to a number of chapter awards and superb performance from the chapter's high school computer competition team. Carter will remain on the chapter's board of directors in his new role as the immediate past president.

I encourage you to use the POST COMMENT option below to share some love with these BDPA leaders as they prepare for their new roles within the Atlanta chapter.

We encourage our Atlanta-based Groupsite members to join BDPA Atlanta chapter for its 2011 Annual Awards and Recognition program being hosted on November 16 by Cox Enterprises. During this event the chapter will be recognizing the following corporate sponsors and community partners who have contributed so much to the chapter this year:

A special recognition will be presented to the award winning 2011 High School Computer Competition team by the folks at World Wide Technology, a leader in the field of systems integration and the largest African American owned IT firm in the United States!

In attendance also will be the 2012 chapter leadership team who are poised to take BDPA Atlanta chapter to the next level! You are encouraged to mingle with these future officers and committee chairs and learn how you can become a part of their plans for the upcoming year.

Last but not least, the chapter's technology committee will unveil the new BDPA Atlanta portal which will go live on January 1st! This dynamic technology team is compromised of seasoned IT professionals and several DeVry/Keller students.

Here are the logistics for the program:

DATE: Wednesday November 16, 2011
TIME: 6:00 pm

ADDRESS: Cox Enterprises
6205 Peachtree Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, GA 30328

DRESS CODE: Formal Business Attire

ADMISSION FEES:

• BDPA Atlanta Members & Cox Employees: Free
  • College Students (w/School ID): $5.00
  • Non-BDPA Members: $10.00

You can click here to RSVP for the event!

BDPA Atlanta is proud to announce several key items that are coming in 2012. We are VERY excited about them, and hopefully, you will be, too!
  • SUCCESS ALLIANCE - BDPA's Education and Professional Development area will proudly introduce its first professional development program: SUCCESS ALLIANCE!  Success Alliance is a professional development support group which helps you to define and set your career, business or academic goals. This program was designed to help YOU succeed by giving you all the tools needed to achieve your goals.
  • iPad 2 GIVE AWAY - Thanks to our sponsor World Wide Technology, we will be giving away an iPad2. The contest begins in January and will continue through April. The drawing will be held during our monthly meeting on April 18th. Contest rules and eligibility will be announced next week.
  • NEXT LEVEL TECHNOLOGY FOUNDATION - Next Level Technology is an education foundation that was established by BDPA Atlanta to provide a 'tax-deductible' way for donors to contribute to the organization. Next Level Technology directly supports BDPA Atlanta to provide support of technical and professional training for high school students and adult career professionals.
MORE DETAILS TO COME IN THE UPCOMING WEEK!
Sincerely,
Felicia Jones , President-Elect
BDPA Atlanta Chapter
In 2012, BDPA Atlanta's Education and Professional Development area will proudly introduce its first professional development program: SUCCESS ALLIANCE!

Success Alliance is a professional development support group which helps you to define and set your career, business or academic goals. This program was designed to help YOU succeed by giving you all the tools needed to achieve your goals.

You will learn how to:
  1. Manage your goals like a Project Manager
  2. Analyze your goals like a Business Analyst
  3. Problem solve using Agile
  4. Measure your progress using Six Sigma
Keys to Success:
  1. Join a support group of 8 like-minded individuals
  2. Commit to meeting at least 80 hours per month with your support group
  3. Participate in support group for 8 consecutive months
For more information or questions, send an email to: careers@atlantabdpa.org

Sincerely,
Felicia Jones , President-Elect
BDPA Atlanta Chapter
What can I say other than thank you? Thank you to everyone in BDPA for all the great things you have done for me.

It is bittersweet, but, effective August 5, 2012 I will retire as Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) Director for BDPA Atlanta chapter. After 11 great years of working with the student program, BDPA has transformed me from a boy into a man.

I started with the student program as a high school student (BDPA Memphis), up to undergrad (BDPA Chattanooga), straight through grad school, and finally as an IT professional (BDPA Atlanta). I AM "from the classroom to the boardroom" because of what BDPA has done and is doing for me.

As I reflect on retiring, I think of BDPA as a girlfriend and I recall that Gladys Knight and the Pips song, “ Neither One Of Us ”.
I keep wondering, what I'm gonna do without you, And I guess you must be wondering that same thing too...Everytime I find the nerve to say I'm leaving, Memories, those old memories get in my way… When it comes to saying goodbye, That's a simple word that I just cannot say...There can be no way, there can be no way, This can have a happy ending, no no, So we just go on hurting and pretending, And convincing ourselves to give it just one more try.
You all know I’m ol’ school!

I know I may get in trouble for calling names, so let me say I truly appreciate everyone and what they have done for me and my family. If you are on this email, I thank you. There are, however, some people who were very influential in pivotal stages in my career with BDPA. I have to thank my mother and father for making me be in the program and giving me the life lessons to be able to last this long. To my brothers for always supporting me by kind words, coming to the banquet, and for teaching and talking to my kids.

To my wife and daughter, we got a lot time to make up, but thank you for allowing me the time to do something I am extremely passionate about.

My Pops (Joseph Taylor) and Todd Green started it all for me. They took a chance by selecting me to be on the national championship High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team trained by BDPA Memphis chapter in 2001. That opportunity single-handedly changed my life and helped put me in the position I am in today. Words can't express what you two mean to me and how much I appreciate your help and guidance throughout the past 11 years.

My Ma (Teresa Williams) for being crazy enough to adopt me as her only begotten son. LOL. Because they crucified me. LOL. Thanks for having my back and pushing me for greatness. It is very comforting to be able to have a mother away from home.

To the greatest hype man in the world, Mr. Wayne Hicks. You challenged me back in 2003 to not just accept the Memphis wins and do nothing else, but to continue to educate high school students and help take BDPA to the next level. I accepted that challenge and I hope I met your expectations. You are one of the shoulders BDPA rests on. Thank you for supporting me and letting the world know who I am through the BETF-Blog, CNN, BDPA iRadio Show and Diversity Careers Magazine (see page 18).

For Felicia making the company think I was greater than what I am. It got me in the door, what more can I ask for. LOL. Thanks for believing in me.

To Maurice for being my greatest competitor, competition, and big brother. There would not be a Coach Wes in Atlanta had you not been by my side the whole time helping and mentoring me. I learned a lot from you and I can’t say thank you enough.

Thank you to the BDPA Atlanta Leadership Board, for all the support and mentoring you all have given me.

To the greatest volunteers in all of BDPA that I have worked with: Dre, Dawn, Keke, Wayne Bowling, Cynthia, DaWaisha, Maurice, Sharnecia, Lanita, Cornell. Thank you all. When times got crazy, you all were there through it all. You all are the reason why BDPA Chattanooga and BDPA Atlanta have performed well enough to be honored at past national award galas.

Thank you to all my kids and parents. The success of my students completes me. They have worked so hard throughout the years in the program. I'm proud to say my kids go off to college or either join the military to serve our country. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are the reason why we do this and the reason why I stuck around for 11 years. I hope you all learned something and got something from the program that will help you out in life.

As I close, I wanted to take my time with this because I am truly, truly, truly grateful for BDPA and the people in it that have changed my life. So I end this the same way I started back in 01. I got to borrow a passage from the artist Jay-Z , “ What More Can I Say ” ,with some slight modifications. Maurice (he is a BIG Jay-Z fan) this is for you. LOL

Pound for pound I'm the best to ever come around here
Excluding nobody
Look what I embody
The mind of a genius, I wanted to be the best I could be
The ACE program was mine
That marketing plan was me
And no I’m not saying this because I want to be slick
And as a coordinator I wasn't always the first round pick
And I’m not animated as like say a Wayne Hicks
But the realness you get when you break down my lines
Add that to the fact I won 1st a bunch of times
Times that by my influence
On the program’s culture
I’m supposed to be number one on everybody's list
It’s hard to say but this is it…………………....….for now ;)

Thank you,
Wesley Williams, SITES Director
BDPA Atlanta Chapter
As we all know in sports, the 4th Quarter is the last and most crucial time of the game; if you haven't brought it by now, you better step up your game or if you are barely ahead of the competition, you gotta stay in it, to win it. Read more »

Careers Don't Just Happen By Accident While the terms "job" and "career" are often used to mean the same thing, they really are conceptually very different. If you work a part-time job in your youth in order to have extra spending money, it isn't likely you'd refer to it as a career. Why? Read more »

Critical Thinking on the Job Today we find many people talking about critical thinking, or the lack of critical thinking. In truth, far too many people don't understand what critical thinking is. Read more »

What Time It It? It's H.S.C.C. Time! What time is it? HSCC time! What time is? HSCC time! What are going to do again this year? Win! What are we going to do again this year? Win, Win, Win, Win, Win! Read more »

Sincerely,
Felicia Jones , president
BDPA Atlanta Chapter
BDPA Atlanta chapter won the 2012 National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship. The success of the program attracted fourteen (14) students to try out for the 2013 HSCC team representing the chapter and city at this year's national HSCC championship being held in Washington DC.

The final five students to make the national HSCC team representing Atlanta will be announced later this month. Here are the high school hopefuls:

Shown in Photo: Maurice Weston, Majazz Allah, Madeline Veira, Evan Marable, Lloyd Alexander, 
Jamal Musa, Jonecia Trice, Akilah Weston, Suntheng Taing, Nicolas Badila and Austin Marable
Not in the Photo: Yash Shirsath, Zaria Brown and Jordan Thompson

The HSCC program in Atlanta is designed to teach High School students how to create web applications using coding languages; HTML, CSS, SQL, MySQL, and PHP. In addition to learning how to code, students receive coaching regarding their personal and professional development. BDPA Atlanta volunteers work with students on team building, public speaking, time management, presentation skills as well as goal setting.

The chapter would like to win the national HSCC championship again ... however, its objective is to equip, encourage and enlighten all of the students in their journey to become successful IT professionals. You can help BDPA Atlanta chapter by supporting its HSCC Scholarship fundraising initiative.
Derrick Brown

On Wednesday January 15th we turned up the heat!

It's been pretty cold in Atlanta so the need to bring the heat was more than appropriate. The evening was all about what BDPA Atlanta would be doing in 2014 and how those activities might actually do something rewarding, like putting money in your pocket.

Now, as I have said time and again it is not about me putting my own personal money in somebody else's pocket. It's not about a prospective member showing up and expecting to get paid off the cuff. No, it's about engaging in activities that will give a member the ability to go and find that money where it is accumulating in the industry and grab their share of it, and of course, put it in their pocket, savings account, investment account, whatever is appropriate and best.

We are embarking on an ambitious program of professional and technical development in order to add value for our members. We took the time to walk through this plan with our members and they were more than pleased.

Our approach to 2014 will be holistic in nature. We'll be providing critical information about personal branding, the image you maintain for yourself as well as the image you present to the world, and why it is critically important. We'll be talking about the importance of networking and how you do it well. DON'T HOLD THE WALL! Get off the wall and shake someone's hand. And once you've pressed flesh follow up with conversation about what you do, why you do it, and how you do it differently, which clarifies why you do it better. Remember, build a network, leverage a network, create an opportunity.

With the effective elevation of soft skills our members will be ready to engage people from a position of confidence, assured that they have the requisite skills necessary in order to communicate effectively.

In addition to soft skills we will promote our Technological Superiority Themes. These themes are centered around some of the most innovative and hottest areas in technology. The year will cover mobility applications, hybrid clouds, smart machines, and 3D printing. Moreover we will not just offer an introduction. We will provide our members the means to actually get involved with these technologies. We will give them the information they need to make a choice. Do they want a career in one of these areas? If they do, we'll help them find out who they have to talk to, what they have to read, what certifications are available, and who is hiring.

Tie our professional development efforts with our efforts in technology and we are providing our members with the tools they need to go out and Lock The Job, and in turn build a supremely satisfying and rewarding career.

But that's not all.

As ever BDPA Atlanta will maintain the organization's motto, ‘From the classroom to the boardroom'. We will continue to improve our efforts with our Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. We will field a winning High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team to compete in the 2014 National BDPA HSCC championships being held later this year in Indianapolis.

In addition to all this, we will address the issue of getting our youth engaged in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). We recognize this is a cultural issue, and we will address it by hosting our first-ever BDPA Atlanta STEM Forum for students and their parents. We will put STEM at the forefront of our community and in so doing, maintain the trust that is implied in our motto. We are dedicated to the community and the task of getting us engaged in technology for the benefit of all.

The Aspiring Critical Thinker
Derrick 'D.S.' Brown, president
BDPA Atlanta Chapter

BDPA Atlanta chapter has a powerful legacy in the national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championships. They won the championship in 2012 with a group of young men that have continued their STEM-based education in college.

The 2014 HSCC team is ready to compete for another championship!

L-R: Cameron Reaves, Josiah, Madeline Viera, Jakobi Freeman, Saket Shirsath

The HSCC program hosted by BDPA Atlanta chapter is designed to teach students how to create web applications using the following programming languages; HTML, CSS, SQL, MySQL, and PHP. In addition to learning how to code, students receive coaching regarding their personal and professional development. The HSCC volunteers in Atlanta work with the students on team building, public speaking, time management, presentation skills and goal setting. The chapter seeks to equip, encourage and enlighten its students in an effort to prepare them for current and future opportunities in the information technology industry.

The major corporate sponsor for the chapter in 2014 is Macy's. However, we hope that you will do your part to help us raise college scholarship funding for these youngsters!

Josephine Reed has been an active volunteer with BDPA Atlanta chapter for a number of years. Currently, she serves as the director of the chapter's Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. In that role she has provided guidance that resulted in over $10,000 of college scholarship funds being earned by BDPA Atlanta chapter students over the past few years.

Josie was the featured guest on Technology Expresso Cafe' podcast where she was interviewed by David Blackman and Jacqueline Sanders.

Check Out Fitness Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Tech Expresso Cafe on BlogTalkRadio

In her role as SITES directory, Josie attends all director meetings to discuss program curriculum and competition rules. As a board member, she work with the leadership team to develop and coordinate course objectives and program schedule with other instructors. She recruits instructors and students to participate in the program and works within the community to find sponsorship for the program.

Her passion to work with today's youth and exposing them to environments and experiences they otherwise may have never known, has been one of the best experiences in her life. As such, it is not a surprise to learn that Josie created an innovative idea that combines brain power and fitness for what promises to be an entertaining afternoon. The 'FIT STEAM Relay Challenge' is designed with the intention of engaging middle and high school students in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) education in an environment that promotes physical fitness. The students participating in the relay race will have many supporters cheering them on as they compete in front of their family, friends and peers.

We encourage our blog readers to find ways to support the event! Frankly, we want you to also make a secure online donation in support of the BDPA Atlanta chapter SITES program.

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA