Washington DC

BDPA Washington DC chapter founded in May 1978 is the 6th largest chapter in America. Part of the success for this chapter is the strong program meetings that they hold each month.

This month ... January 2008 ... is no exception. The chapter's program meeting will cover everything that you ever wanted to know about to know about high performance computing (HPC), the TeraGrid, “Internet2,” “Web 3.0,” and “next steps”. This is a program meeting that you will not want to miss if you are in the Washington DC area.

The guest speaker will be Dr. Jesse Bemley. He will explore HPC, or a more current and evolving definition of HPC referring to High Productivity Computing, and reflect the purpose and use models of existing and evolving architectures, the supporting ecosystem of software, middleware, storage, networking and tools behind our next generation of applications currently under development.

This is a profesional IT networking and catered chapter event. Online registration is requested. You are encouraged to invite co-workers and college students to this meeting. Here are the logistics:

Date: Thursday, January 24, 2008
When: 6:30pm - 8:30pm

Where: ASAE Conference Center 1575 I Street NW, Washington, DC 20005

Do you have any questions about this topic that you want to ask in this forum?

Replies to this Topic

Your JANUARY 2008 newsletter
editon is available online.

Click here | opens January 2008 Edition

Launch current newsletter

bdpatoday
Adobe Reader Required

In case you missed one,
recent newsletters and
National's BDPA JOURNAL
are archived and
 accessible via the chapter's
Welcome Centre.

Edited Wed, Jan 9, 2008 12:29 PM

BDPA Washington DC chapter, founded May 1978, is currently the 5th largest chapter in the nation. One reason for their rapid growth in recent years is the strong Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program available to K-12 students in the DC area. One aspect of the SITES program is the annual High School Computer Competition (HSCC) Program. The goal of this exciting training and annual competition is to increase interest of African American youth in the information technology industry.

BDPA Washington DC is now recruiting 8th thru 12th grade students to enroll in their Youth Technology HSCC program. The program provides an environment where high school students compete on an academic level and showcase their technical skills and creativity. Selected students receive several weeks of introductory and advanced training in computer technologies such as HTML, Java, and relational databases. Participating students also gain essential skills such as presentation delivery and teamwork.

At the conclusion of program, selected students will represent BDPA Washington DC in the national competition taking place on August 6-9, 2008 in Atlanta, GA. The competition team will enjoy an all expense paid trip to the conference with an opportunity to win college scholarships. The students from the Washington DC team won the silver medal in 2007 national competition, after taking the bronze medal they prior year. As a result these youngsters won $12,500 in scholarships over the past two years. The chapter wants to prepare students to win more scholarships and advance their career as Stephanie Lampkin did in the past.

Interview for the 2008 HSCC program take place on both February 16 and February 23 from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. All students are encouraged to use our online scheduler to confirm date and time for an interview.

Interview location:

Patriots Technology Training Center
The Bank of America Building
5800 Martin Luther King, Jr. Hwy.
Seat Pleasant, MD 20743

Please email us at hscc@bdpa-dc.org if you have any questions or wish to discuss further.

On BDPA e-Newstands now @ www.bdpatoday.org and also on file within the Chapter's online Welcome Centre ...

From our Events Calendar :

• NATIONAL BLACK FAMILY TECHNOLOGY AWARENESS WEEK
    February 10 - 16, 2008
    Powered by the Black Family Network 

• BDPA NORTHERN VIRGINIA CHAPTER Program Meeting
    This Wednesday, February 13th, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
    Featured Topic: SOA (Service Oriented Architecture)
    Presenter: Franco Castaldini of Software AG/WebMethods
    Location: Freddie Mac, 8200 Jones Branch Drive, McLean, VA 22102
    Site: www.bdpanova.org

• REGIONAL BDPA Program Meeting @ BEYA 2008 
    This Saturday, February 16th, 1:00 pm - 4:00pm during this year's BLACK ENGINEER OF THE YEAR (BEYA) Expo and Career Fair at the Baltimore Convention Center.

Dynamic topics featuring remarks from National BDPA President Denise Holland (BDPA Baltimore) and participating Regional BDPA Chapters:

High Performance Computing “101”
    Explore SC08, the TeraGrid, and the GIG in layperson’s terms. Encore presentation from Dr. Jesse Bemley (BDPA-DC) of Joint Educational Facilities (JEF).

Six Sigma "101"
    Explore best practices for small business and organizations that systematically improves processes by elimination defects.
    Presentation by Frederick Smith from BDPA's newest Chapter, Northern Delaware, and Lockheed Martin.

• Regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC) activities begin for the 2008 season.

Although we honor HCBU Engineering Schools, Software Engineers, and Systems Engineers from Industry each year in Baltimore, BEYA truly is an annual BDPA Mid-Atlantic "Regional" Event. Career Fairs, Technology Expos, Jet and Vehicle Simulators, Robotics displays, and seminars...

Not a BDPA Member yet? Click here , bring students and new members with you to our next BDPA event. Make history with other BDPA members. Build and brand your new BDPA!

Pass along to high school and college students within your professional networks.
Interns also should attend this week's Career Fair and Technology Expo in Baltimore.

###

African Americans in the technology industry have been hit hard by corporate mergers, offshore outsouring, H1-B visa immigrants and the failing economy. Are you a BDPA member that is worried about your future within the IT industry because of these major trends? Have you considered how your BDPA membership can benefit your future within the IT industry? If you answered YES to either one of those questions, then BDPA Washington DC chapter has the program meeting for you!

The special guest speaker is Mr. Wayne Hicks, BETF Executive Director and former National BDPA President. Wayne has been a BDPA leader for over 20 years. He believes that BDPA exists to advance the careers of African Americans in the information technology industry from 'the classroom to the boardroom'. If this mission statement resonates with you ... then you need to make plans to attend this program meeting.

Wayne will engage you in dialogue on the following topics:
  • BDPA? What's In It For Me?
  • Tips on networking within BDPA
  • How to get the most out of being a member
  • How to market yourself in the IT industry
  • What you can do to strengthen BDPA's relationship with other corporations and yours

Refreshments will be served. Here are the logistics for the program meeting:

When: Thursday, April 24, 2008
Time: 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm

Where: ASAE Conference Center (The West Room)
1575 "I" (Eye) Street, N.W.; Washington, D.C. 20005
[M] McPherson Square Metro Stop

Attire: Business/Casual

Registration is open to BDPA Members and the public. You can learn more about other public events hosted by BDPA Washington DC, through 'BDPA Today'.

Email the BDPA Washington DC chapter if you have questions or wish to discuss further.

This year, BDPA's national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) will be held in Atlanta, GA during the National BDPA Technology Conference, August 6-9, 2008.  Final competition teams selected to represent Washington DC and Northern Virginia will be made up of 3-5 students each.   However, other students will be eligible to participate in BDPA's annual Youth Technology Camp (YTC).  The competition team also will enjoy an all-expense paid trip to the national conference.

All students will be allowed to participate in the YTC and other planned student activities.  The competition team will compete with other BDPA chapter teams throughout the United States developed web applications, mastering computer theory, conducting oral presentations and publishing their team's deliverables during written competition.

The top five teams will win college scholarships, computer hardware and software.   The BDPA Foundation may extend scholarship awards to the top six teams in 2008.  BDPA student members and HSCC students will be afforded an opportunity an opportunity to participate or attend this year's TeraGrid Conference and Supercomputing 2008 (SC08) Expo later this year.

BDPA student memberships also are available to area students at a very nominal annual fee of only $15 for full-time students.  Join a local BDPA Chapter or start a small Chapter Interest Group within your school today.

Bowie State University will host this year's BDPA Regional HSCC and IT Showcase on Saturday, June 21st.

[NOTE: Reprinted from May 2008 issue of BDPAToday ]

DC Chapter Members.  Visit www.bdpa-dc.org for your Chapter 's updates from ATLANTA next week! 

30th Anniversary  Specials  for New DC Chapter Members
and Students have just been announced
!

BDPA Members Only - Don't miss your special Congressional Black Caucus Foundation
Annual Legislative Conference (CBCF/ALC)  invitations directly mailed to you with your September 2008 issue of bdpatoday.  Not a Member? Click "Specials" linked above to join one of BDPA's fastest growing chapters during an epic General Election year!

Students, with your new BDPA Memberships, get the jump on SC08, SC09, TeraGrid '09, 2009 Regional IT Showcase, 2009 HSCC Teams, and 2009 Internship opportunities exclusively offered to BDPA and JEF student members.
  Click "Specials" linked above to join today and pass along to a friend. 

5000 Members | This is our short term chapter recruitment goal.  We invite new BDPA members from any of the following industry sectors to share best practices and professional development success stories with tomorrow's workforce: Automotive, Biotechnology, Defense, Education, Energy, Finance, Government, Healthcare, Hospitality & Gaming, Manufacturing, Media & Entertainment, Retail, and Transportation & Logistics.

National Conference | Power Networking National Technology Conference | Power Networking

Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)

BDPA | 1.800.727.BDPA (2372)

We are proud to introduce our BETF-Blog Readers to a young brother who came very close to bringing home a national high school computer competition (HSCC) championship to Washington DC for the first time since 1990. Tarik Massac was a member of silver medal HSCC teams trained by BDPA Washington DC in both 2007 and 2008. Tarik earned Jesse Bemley Scholarship funding of $4,000 for his HSCC efforts.

Here are his thoughts on the HSCC experience over the past few years:

My name is Tarik Massac; I was born and raised in Washington D.C, and eventually moved to Maryland where I completed most of my education. I just recently graduated from Eleanor Roosevelt High School. I plan to attend Prince George’s Community College (PGCC). I am majoring in computer science with every intention to make my career in the information technology industry. After my two years at PGCC, I plan to attend a local university to receive my bachelor’s degree in computer science. I have had work experience in the computer field as an administrative assistant at the Patriots Technology Training Center, where I found out about the BDPA and HSCC.

I have been part of the HSCC for three years, with this being my final year. I would have to say that my most memorable moment would be that of the actual competition. Despite all the stories you have heard, it really is something you have to experience for yourself. Participating in the HSCC, as well as preparing for it, has taught me many things about working in computer-related fields. The team does most, if not all, the work. Even then, you do not simply spend all your time programming, if anything, that’s the least amount of time spent on a project. Along with that, planning and designing is essential to coming up with a good product, which is something that I had never really thought about. I am very glad that the HSCC has really shone light on my field of choice.

BDPAers, we want to give out 2-year scholarship commitments to the HSCC winners next year at the 2009 conference in Raleigh NC. We can only do that if we raise sufficient money for the Bemley Scholarship Fund. Won't you consider making a pledge today? You can do so by making an online donation or an email pledge. What say u?
BDPA Washington DC is the 3rd largest chapter in the nation. They are led by a young brother who I have known for the past 17 years ... Perry Carter. Perry was trained by the military (US Marines). He brings his precision skills to his leadership of the BDPA Washington DC chapter ... and the results are self-evident.

Here is a message that he wrote to his members and supporters earlier this month:

Dear BDPA Chapter Members and Associates

Thank you for your continued support of local BDPA Chapters. I am writing you on behalf of the BDPA Washington DC Chapter, an IRS 501(c)3 public charity, to cordially invite you and guests to celebrate our chapter’s 30th anniversary. The DC chapter’s mission is to promote economic development of minority and underserved communities in our region through utilization of information technology by providing professional and youth development programs, training support, and educational services.

On Wednesday, November 12, 2008, BDPA Washington DC chapter will host a Gala and Awards Banquet at the NDW Conference Center (Washington Navy Yard) to help raise $150,000 for award-winning youth development programs. Also honored will be our Founders, former Chapter Presidents, and industry milestones accomplished during our 30-year timeline.

Thus far, in 2008, local BDPA student members successfully captured over $125,000 in scholarships, internships and grants from various programs and foundations. Direct support from corporations, colleges, universities, and individual patrons for BDPA and related community programs, continues to advance our global STEM priorities through regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC) initiatives to the forefront of underserved and minority communities --- during the toughest of socio-economic times.

Throughout our rich history, BDPA, formerly known as Black Data Processing Associates, has distinguished itself through selfless contributions from its members. Moreover, previous DC chapter administrations sponsored strategic expansion initiatives by creating new charters that established BDPA chapters in Baltimore, Northern Virginia and Richmond. Next quarter, our region formally adds a new BDPA chapter in the Hampton Roads area.

BDPA Washington DC chapter enthusiastically salutes our students, HSCC coordinators, members, corporate sponsors and non-profit partnerships. We welcome your continued support to become a more visible community advocate and infrastructure partner in 2009. To that end, please join me and our distingquished guests on November 12th for a fun-filled ‘Tuxedos & Technology’ evening. We encourage you to enter 2009 with exciting investment opportunities for BDPA programs, corporate growth and dynamic career engagements.

Sincerely,
Perry Carter, president
BDPA Washington DC Chapter

I hope that those of you in the Washington DC area next month can make plans to attend the 30th anniversary celebration!
BDPA Washington DC chapter was founded in May 1978 by Norman Mays. This was a significant event in BDPA history as it moved the organization from a local phenomenon in Philadelphia to a 'national' movement.

Our Washington DC chapter hosted national BDPA technology conferences in 1979 ('The Role of the Black Technical Organization), 1980 ('A New Era of Minority Involvement in Data Processing'), 1990 ('Education and Technology Bonding for Excellence'), 2000 ('Taking IT to the Net: From High-Tops to High-Tech') and 2007 ('Global Strategy for the IT Professional').

BDPA Washington DC won the national high school computer competition (HSCC) championship in 1986 and 1990. Sadly, our historical archives are not complete, so we do not know the names of the young people that won those two championships.

Here are some HSCC alumni from our Washington DC chapter who shared their testimonials with us: Stephanie Lampkin (2000), Janeen Thomas (2003) and Tarik Massac (2006-2008).

We would love to make a connection with other HSCC alumni from our Washington DC chapter. Where are they now? It surprised me to learn that BDPA Washington DC chapter has never won 'Chapter of the Year' honors. Perhaps current chapter president Perry Carter can bring that honor to our nation's capital this year?

A number of past BDPA Washington DC chapter presidents have served important roles at the national level. Norman Mays was our second national president. Dr. Jesse Bemley invented both the High School Computer Competition and the BDPA IT Showcase. Margaret 'Midge' Jennings was our first-ever BDPA executive director. It would be great if we could hear from each of the past BDPA Washington DC chapter presidents:
Where Are They Now?
Louis Shack, Technology Education Manager for DC Courts, combines his passion for computers with his passion to see youth reach their fullest potential. These passions have led him to volunteer with BDPA Washington DC chapter for the past five years. As a mentor, teacher and coordinator in the high school computer competition (HSCC) program, Louis has coached teams to achieve second and third place rankings in recent national BDPA HSCC championships (2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).

Through his efforts and the efforts of his co-volunteers they have seen the program expand from a handful of interested applicants to thirty youths annually. For his selfless efforts and dedication to the chapter's mission, BDPA Washington DC chapter proudly presented this year's Chapter Member of the Year award to Mr. Louis Shack.
Dr. Jesse Bemley, Joint Educational Facilities (JEF) founder, is this year's recipient of the BDPA Washington DC Chapter Lifetime Achievement Award for his selfless contributions to National BDPA and BDPA Washington DC. In addition, Dr. Bemley mentored hundreds of minority youth from traditionally underserved communities by enrolling them in advanced science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs within the national capital region and throughout the country.

On a national level, Dr. Bemley is the creative genius behind the national high school computer competition (HSCC) and the BDPA IT Showcase. These are programs that encourage high school and college students in their pursuit of STEM-based educational opportunities. Many of the students mentored by Dr. Bemley participated in a variety of TeraGrid and Super Computing events. Dr. Bemley has been a member of BDPA for over 30 years and will retire from the U.S. government this fall.

2010 Local Chapter Corporate Award Recipients  

Groupsite.com - 2010 Technical Sponsor of the Year

HBCU/MI Project Office - 2010 President's Award:
    Mr. H. Harrison (Hank) Valentine

Microsoft - 2010 Community Outreach Champion | DigiGirlz:
    Ms. Donna Woodall

Oracle Corporation - 2010 Education Sponsor of the Year 

Last day to RSVP for 2010 Scholarship and HSCC Awards Dinner is November 5th

Select here to sponsor a table and order event tickets.  Email artwork (.JPG or .PDF) with your company's ad or official logo for this year's Program Guide to: info@bdpatoday.org

Black Tie preferred | RSVP by November 5th

Edited Thu, Nov 4, 2010 7:12 AM

Best Buy of Bowie presents 2011 grant to BDPA-DC

© bdpatoday photo by Catherine Williamson

Exciting Cyber and CS-STEM outreach programs will continue into 2012 and 2013 for local BDPA members and students. The Best Buy Children's Foundation recently selected BDPA-DC as one of its 2011 Grant recipients for our community outreach programs.

Seeking a new IT or Cyber career, an Internship or a scholarship?  Join or renew today with your local BDPA chapter, network, and establish strategic relationships with new sponsors in local communities. 

In 2012, Bowie State Unversity will host your Regional Technology Conference, Regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC), and IT Showcase (ITSC) next June. BDPA's Baltimore Chapter will host the 2012 National BDPA Technology Conference and Career Fair, August 1-4, 2012. Save the dates!

bdpatoday

My name is Quenice Simms and I am extremely proud to have participated as a member of the 2008 High School Computer Competition (HSCC) national team trained by BDPA Washington DC chapter. I remember my first interview with my BDPA instructors Mr. Lou Shack, Mr. Ed Yeldell and Mr. Edwards. They were committed and dedicated to the program, students, and parents. Their expectations for the students were well above what we expected for ourselves coming into the program.

Our BDPA instructors were knowledgeable, thorough, and most of all, patient. Mr. Shack, Mr. Yeldell, and Mr. Edwards were the greatest instructors a student could ask for. They made the learning process much easier. We were able to focus on the content of what was being taught. Computer programming can be difficult, but with the right instructors it can be accomplished. My instructors knew that I had potential to be one of the brightest students in the class. I was selected to compete in the national competition during my first year. Our team came in 2nd place during the 2008 national BDPA HSCC championship. That was a very rewarding and memorable experience that I’ll never forget. I will always have a love for technology thanks to the BDPA Washington DC Chapter.

BDPA was a life-changing experience for me. I learned the true meaning of teamwork. We all set out to tackle and accomplish the same goal. We worked in sync, and spent endless hours preparing for competitions. The notes and quizzes helped me to become more structured in my daily life, and the wealth of knowledge learned will carry on in aspects of my educational and career goals. This generation is highly dependent on technology, and without BDPA I would not be where I am today.

My educational and career goals are to attend Hampton University in order to obtain my Bachelors in kinesiology.  Masters in Bio-kinesiology and my Ph.D in physical therapy sports medicine. I am mesmerized at how exercise, therapy, and an open mind can repair the human body. My plan is to open a not-for-profit Physical Therapy Center that service high school students with sports-related injuries. The center would be open seven days a week, assisting those with financial need. For some student athletes, dreams are all that they have. I would like to help them mentally and physically, so their dreams can become their reality.
Perry Carter is a one-person dynamo! He is a true super-hero in BDPA history. He began his BDPA career as an organizational activist during his college years at Temple University. Later he was an icon at the national level as both the editor of the first-ever BDPA Magazine, 'I+Plus' and later as the 2007 National BDPA Conference director. He maintained his zeal for documenting BDPA programs, scholarships and services in writing as the founding pulbisher of the monthly newsletter, ' bdpatoday ' which has been published for a number of years. Finally, It is worthy to note that Perry is the longest-serving president in the history of our BDPA Washington DC chapter.

We figured it was time to share a presidential profile of Perry Carter on our blog!
Perry Carter is director of Technical Alliances and Outreach with Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC). He leads the Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Group in Hanover, Maryland where he supports small business strategic thrusts and ISR capture planning with small business partners, colleges, universities, and labs for CSC's mission partners.
Perry has been the president of the BDPA Washington DC Chapter, a 501(c)(3) integrated project team charged with developing stronger IT/Cyber workforce pipelines across all vertical markets and industry sectors since 2008. His focus within BDPA is public relations and government relations programs for community-based STEM-IC (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics--Intelligence and Cyber) programs, advanced computing competitions (Cyber Challenge, IT Showcase, and High School Computer Competition), corporate communications, and cyber security outreach initiatives with industry partners.

Favorite Quote: "The best way to predict your future is to create it!" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Prior to CSC, Perry was regional vice president and chief information officer for Tec-Masters, Inc. (TMI), in the Mid-Atlantic region. In this leadership role he captured Navy and Marine Corps contracts and successfully funded multiple Department of Defense (DoD) Mentor–Protégé Program agreements and subcontracts with other government agencies. He also supported TMI's engagements that brought together small and mid-sized businesses and Historically Black College and University/Minority Serving Institution to service DoD DoD and other government agencies.

After graduating from Temple University, Perry served as a Data Systems officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. He was an application developer, software quality assurance analyst, and VP/IT Director for SBA 8(a) small businesses. In other career roles, Perry served as an instructor at Marine Corps Computer Sciences School; director of Small Business Programs for Perot Systems Government Services; National Public Affairs Officer for NNOA; and a tutor with Joint Educational Facilities.
Perry is a remarkable role model for IT professionals both in Washington DC and around the nation ! Please take a moment to REPLY to this blog post with your insights and observations about Perry Carter!
Raymond Bell
Raymond Bell has been named BDPA Washington DC chapter 'Member of the Year'. As founder and executive director of The H.O.P.E. Project, Mr. Bell’s program has excelled in helping more young adults gain meaningful employment and technical experiences in a very competitive workforce.

Based in the District of Columbia, The H.O.P.E. Project is a unique technical career training operation designed to rapidly prepare socially and economically disadvantaged young adults ranging in ages from 18 to 24 for rewarding careers with advancement as Help Desk Technicians and Application Support Professionals with information technology industry bona fides, CompTIA certifications, or security clearances.

Mr. Bell will be honored at the chapter's National Championship Awards Gala and Fundraiser on November 12, 2014

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA