Cincinnati

Brenda Gunn-Hogan shared the following message with members of the BDPA Cincinnati chapter. She gives a great review of accomplishments over the past two years for her chapter. Here is her message:

To: BDPA Members and Supporters

It has been a pleasure serving as your President for the last two years. I want to thank everyone for all the support and encouragement you have given me. We have been very successful this past year and I would like to share those successes and all the progress we have made together. To name a few:
  • Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship Program (SITES) High School Computer Camp
  • The Leadership Connection - BDPA Cincinnati's mentoring program
  • IT Fusion - Emerging Trends in Information Technology, a panel of senior IT experts discussed technical innovations occurring today and ended the year with another great IT Fusion presentation from Kenneth Frank
  • Our Corporate Advisory Council (CAC) was active again this year providing leadership and support
  • The celebration of our volunteers and sponsors - 7th Annual Awards Luncheon took place at the Bankers Club
  • Project Management Prep Class
  • Midwest Regional Computer Competition
  • BDPA Cincinnati Annual Cookout
  • At the BDPA National Conference students representing Cincinnati:
    • Participated in High School Computer Competition
    • Participated in Youth Conference
    • Placed first and second place respectively in the high school portion of the 2007 BDPA IT Showcase
  • During the BDPA National Conference the Cincinnati chapter:
    • Honored with the Professional Development award
    • Won 2nd place Chapter of the Year award
  • Annual Education Luncheon to honor the students that participated in the Computer program as well as the volunteers that make it happen
In closing, I would again like to thank all those who volunteered their time and the Board of Directors who worked long hours to make these advancements possible. I would hope that our renewed commitment would allow the same for the New Year as Janice Lee begins her reign as president! It is this commitment that keeps BDPA strong.

Best wishes for the New Year and always, Brenda Gunn Hogan 2006-2007 President BDPA Cincinnati

Please take a moment to share some love with Brenda and some words of encouragement and support with Janice!

Replies to this Topic

BDPA Cincinnati chapter is bringing back one of their most popular workshop series from last year ... Project Management Exam Prep.

Jeff Jenkins (PMP) directs the Cincinnati chapter's Project Management Special Interest Group (PMSIP). PMSIP members will lead intense, hands-on workshop activity for anyone planning to take the PMP exam this year.

The workshop will occur on five consecutive Saturdays from March 29th through April 26th. The focus of the PMSIP workshop series will be:
  • the nine knowledge areas of the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®);
  • how to become a member of PMI®
  • how to study and prepare for the exam
Here are the logistics for the event:

Cost: $300/members or $375/future members

11450 Grooms Road
Blue Ash, OH

The class outline is contained in the workshop brochure. For more information on this professional development opportunity, contact Gerald Smith, PMP on (513) 325-6513.

As an aside, if you don't live in the greater Cincinnati area, you should look for similiar opportunity offered by the BDPA IT Institute. Are there any PMP candidates out there interested in learning more about this workshop series?
Congratulations to Wanda McCaster on her recent election as the 2008-2009 president-elect for BDPA Cincinnati chapter. Wanda currently works as a project manager for Kelly Services. I've known the sister for many moons. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I appointed her to her first BDPA leadership position back in 2000 when she became the chapter's VP-Membership Management.

Many BDPA members around the country may recall Wanda from her workshop presentations on 'Six Sigma Black Belt' and 'project management'. The lucky ones have had opportunity to taste Wanda's soul food!

When asked how she plans to make a difference as the president-elect from Cincinnati chapter, Wanda replied,
"Our board will work together as a cohesive team with the same commitment, drive, and focus on making the BDPA the best organization we can. As a board we will focus our efforts on adding value to being a member of the BDPA. Value will be seen and felt by the CAC, Board Members, Members, and Volunteers. This will allow us to drive up membership by having BDPA meet and greet at corporations, increase corporate sponsorship, increase corporate memberships; Increase student memberships by visiting schools; increase BDPA monthly and special events, and more importantly by word of mouth from our members!"

Take a moment to welcome Wanda into her new leadership role within BDPA!
Congratulations to Team CHAOS (Cincinnati Holds All Opposition Speechless)! The five youngsters from Cincinnati took home the gold medal from the 2008 Midwest Regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC) on Saturday, June 7, 2008 at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.

Left to right - DeRicco Swan, senior at Withrow International. Brandon Bowen, senior at Clark Montessori High School, Simeon Ellis, sophomore at Cincinnati’s Creative and Performing Arts, Brook Hines, sophomore at Lakota High School, Raynisha Greene, sophomore at Cincinnati’s Creative and Performing Arts.

The event drew representation from the following BDPA chapters: Atlanta (silver medal), Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton (bronze medal), Detroit, Indianapolis and Middle Tennessee.

The next step for Team CHAOS is the national HSCC in Atlanta, GA on August 6-8, 2008 competing against 23 other chapter teams.

Meantime, BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Janice Lee wants to express appreciation to the BDPA Midwest Regional Committee:

• Cincinnati State Technical and Community College – Midwest Regional Host Site
  • The Kroger Co – Competition Laptop Donation
  • Computer Science Corporation – Programming Problem/Judges
  • Deborah Prince, Consultant - Outreach Director
  • Steve Gutter, Kroger - Past Midwest Regional Coordinator
  • Ashley Ogletree, Fifth Third Bank - Midwest Regional Coordinator (Chapters)
  • Ann Mawicke, Mawicke Creations - Corporate Leadership
  • Marsha Steed, CSC CAC Member - Enquirer Newspaper
  • Shanese Lee, Children’s Hospital, Midwest Regional (Corporate)
  • Frank Hill, Hiltronics - Midwest Technical Coordinator
  • Sharon White, Cincinnati State - Midwest Regional Liaison
Were any of our blog readers in attendance at the Midwest Regional Competition this year? If so, please share your thoughts on what you observed! What say u?

14th Annual Education and Scholarship Luncheon

Pre-Sales Fundraiser

July 16 - August 16

$3K-in-30Days!

Since 1994, The Cincinnati Chapter Student Information Technology and Education Program have provided annually, 3 - 5, $500 scholarships towards a deserving student's higher education.  S.I.T.E.S's goal is to facilitate training to provide a foundation from which high school students can explore their talents, and promote interest in the Information Technology field.

Meet DeRicco Swan, 17 and recent graduate of Withrow International High School .  DeRicco is a 3rd year student participant and 1st time competitor for our High School Computer Competition Team. DeRicco's expertise is Database Management and SQL.

DeRicco is planning to use his scholarship funding this Fall at Cincinnati State and Technical College (chapter corporate supporter) major area of IT Programming. He is very appreciative to use towards class fees.

Can we raise $3,000k in 30 days? That equates to $100 dollars a day....that's you and 2 friends.   Many ways to contribute: as a donor, ticket purchaser, corporate/organization advertising or corporate/organization table ...you decide.

Get started today by clicking on the $3k-in-30days link below

$3K-in-30Days!  

Education and Scholarship Fundraising Committee

cincinnati@bdpa.org

BDPA Cincinnati is the 5th largest chapter in the nation. This chapter won the Professional Development Award at the national conference last month. The chapter now extends invitation to all BDPA Foundation Blog readers to attend their 14th Annual Education & Scholarship Luncheon on Saturday, September 20, 2008.

One of the highlights of the event will be the keynote speech by Clifford Bailey, President/CEO or TechSoft Systems. Clifford is an elder statesman of technology business owners in the state of Ohio. He has been a supporter of BDPA Cincinnati for over a decade.

Here are the logistic for this banquet:

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Xavier University’s
Schiff Conference & Banquet Center
at the Cintas Center

1624 Herald Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45207
11:30 AM – 2:00 PM

Tickets: $30.00 per person

You can purchase or donate banquet tickets here. For rates on tables and ads, please contact us at (513) 956-0636 or cincinnati@bdpa.org

This is a friendly reminder that the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter Annual Cookout this coming Sunday afternoon. We are asking each BDPA member to bring an IT friend to the event! Please come out and bring your family to enjoy an afternoon of fun and food at the park.

When: Sunday, September 7, 2008
Noon – 6:00 pm

Where: Sharon Woods Park – Loan Oak Meadow Shelter

Who: BDPA Members, those in technology as well as friends and supporters.

Cost: This event is free

RSVP: RSVP now!

Attire: Casual

For more information, call (513) 956-0636 or email us

BDPA Cincinnati is the 8th largest chapter in the nation. I am convinced that the chapter can double their membership with a better understanding of social networking. Frankly, I think that unemployed or under-employed BDPA members can improve their chances of finding meaningful employment if they create a plan to use social networking as part of their job search. I also think that small business owners can find and retain customers by adding a social networking strategy to the mix.

These are the real-world issues that we will tackle during my presentation on 'The Art of Social Networking' later this month.

Here are the logistics for the meeting:
  • Date - Thursday, October 22, 2009
  • Time - 6:00pm thru 8:00pm
  • Location - Offices of 5/3rd Bank - 5001 Kingsley Drive - Madisonville Office Bldg
You can RSVP online with BDPA Cincinnati chapter.

I would love to have some insights from BETF-Blog readers. What information would be the most useful for you at a workshop like this one? What would you like to learn or talk about at such a session? Use the POST REPLY link below to share your thoughts!
BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Janice Lee invited me to be the guest presenter for the October 2009 program meeting on 10/22/2009. We talked about The Art of Social Networking .

The interaction with the audience was excellent. We covered the basics of networking, benefits of networking, demographics of Internet users, creating a blog, LinkedIn Network, Facebook, Twitter and traits of a good or bad networker.

I promised the folks in the audience that I would make the slideshow of my presentation available to them. Here it is:

I forgot how much I enjoy being surrounded by BDPA members that want to learn new things and network with one another. It is difficult to underestimate the power of BDPA program meetings. What is your best memory of a BDPA program meeting in your life?
I met Patrick in the mid-1990s when I first came to Cincinnati, Ohio. He amazed me for a number of reasons ... not the least of which was the amazing house he and his wife purchased in order to raise their boys. He recently asked all of the past presidents of BDPA Cincinnati chapter to come together in support of efforts by the Corporate Advisory Council to acheive various chapter success metrics in 2010.

Anyhow, I'm pleased that Patrick agreed to participate in our Take Five interview series :
  1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - About 5 years after I joined P&G I met Daryl Turner. Daryl introduced me to BDPA by inviting me to my first BDPA meeting. Daryl also mentored me as I applied myself and took on the roll of "Administrative Liaison" to the Corporate Advisory Council for the Cincinnati Chapter. I did everything from taking notes to sending out reminders and planning the agenda for the CAC chair who at the time was Toni Miles of CSC Consulting. I held many other roles over the years and will continue serving as long as BDPA stays relevant in creating opportunities for our youth and our members to build a better life for themselves via technology careers.
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - Knowing that I am making a difference the lives of not only the children through the youth programs but of some of the members as well. I have helped several make valuable connections in their times of transition from one job to another. I have volunteered in almost all the BDPA roles over my many years as a member.
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - One of the most significant moments in my life was when my wife and I chose to accept an assignment in Geneva, Switzerland. It was truly a life-changing 3 years and it opened our eyes to the broader world beyond the US and the American political close mindedness. We traveled all over Europe and even ended our assignment with one last two-week vacation to Thailand. We loved the expat life so much we wanted to see if the family would adjust well to an Asian assignment. Sadly the opportunity did not materialize though we did love Thailand. My children still remember their time abroad as a very adventure filled and fun time in their lives. We would do it again if given the opportunity.
  4. Who is your hero and why? - I don't believe I have anyone I would place in the realm of hero but I do have several people I highly respect. One such person would be Mr. Robert Scott. Mr. Scott was also very involved with BDPA Cincinnati. He also served as the CAC Chair. He rose to the level of VP of Technology Services Worldwide for P&G. He has served as both a role model and mentor for me as I have traveled the BDPA & P&G journey. HE continues to serves as a role model as he serves as an officer of ITSMF.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - Every individual has to decide how they will be of service to others and giving to the BETF is a great way to serve others. To reuse a common slogan Just do it! Just donate!

Patrick is the type of brother that you hope to have as a friend or colleague. I'm grateful to the time, talent and energy that he gives in support of BDPA.
BDPA Cincinnati chapter is recruiting 8th-12th grade students for its annual Computer Camp. The orientation takes place on January 22. The first session of the camp takes place at Cincinnati State on Saturday, January 29. The chapter hopes to have at least 24 students in the computer camp this year.

Here is a flyer with more details: Call BDPA Cincinnati chapter on (513) 956-0636 or visit their Computer Camp website if you have questions or wish to discuss further.
BDPA Cincinnati chapter, a nonprofit organization made up of racially diverse information technology professionals who advance the careers of African Americans from the classroom to the boardroom, today announced a new officer and member of its board of directors.

Dalric Webb
Dalric Webb, an Engineering Information Technology manager at GE Aviation, in Evendale OH, has been appointed to serve as the BDPA Cincinnati chapter vice president of membership management. BDPA Cincinnati chapter is the 8th largest (out of 45) chapters in the nation. Dalric is responsible for the recruitment and retention of members to the chapter.

Dalric, a retired US Army major, has a wide and diverse background in Information Technology spanning more than 30 decades covering multiple IT related areas including programming, system design, database management, teaching SQL as an Adjunct Professor, webpage design & hosting, IT consultation, and PC repair.

Dalric maintains his proficiency in the IT space through active membership in USBE, ACM, and IEEE. Dalric is an MCSE+I and received his undergraduate degree in Computer Science from Hampton University, his Masters in Information Technology from Capella University, and his MBA with a concentration in Information Management from Grantham University.
I am delighted to join the BDPA board and I look forward to bringing my experience and energy to the BDPA team to help drive greater engagement from the Cincinnati IT community in networking, best practice sharing, employment opportunities, giving back to the community, and building the future,” said newly-elected board member Dalric Webb.
The new board will set the direction for BDPA Cincinnati as it provides programs and services necessary to advance the careers of African Americans and others in the information technology industry from the classroom to the boardroom. The chapter meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month. The next meeting is scheduled for March 17, 2011 at the P&G Winton Hill Business Center.

Dalric takes on this new leadership position at a time when unemployment is growing to painfully high levels for African American IT professionals and there is a dwindling numbers of African American students in college computer science programs. BDPA Cincinnati uses its programs, scholarships and other services to impact on these dismal industry statistics.
Wanda Gray
We are very excited about having Dalric join the BDPA Cincinnati Board of Directors as the Vice President of Membership Management. Dalric brings his experience in working with other non-profit organizations and a diverse background in IT to this role,” said BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Wanda Gray. “When I met Dalric, he was enthusiastic and full of ideas on how we can recruit and retain members to the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter. I look forward to working with Dalric in this role.”
All,

BDPA Cincinnati chapter recently ‘adopted’ the Taft STEM Elementary School. Our first initiative was to implement an after-school TECHie Club that will provide programming, web development, mobile application development and robotics insights to 3rd-5th grade students. We are grateful to the six (6) people that have tentatively volunteered to support this after-school TECHie Club initiative. Please note that we are still seeking volunteers who can come to Taft STEM Elementary for one hour per week as a volunteer.

Also, Taft STEM Elementary School principal Wayne Lane is now reaching out to BDPA Cincinnati chapter for two new initiatives:
  1. Technical professionals willing to come to visit with students during the school hours to speak about current or past projects. Principal Lane would especially like to see female professionals of African descent.
  2. Class trips of elementary school students to local plants, labs or other areas of technical concentration.
Would you be willing to volunteer to explore either of these two initiatives? If so, please reply to this message or call me on (513) 284-4968 to discuss further.

peace,
Wayne Hicks, past president
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter
(513) 284-4968
twitter: @BDPACincinnati
facebook: BDPA Cincinnati
BDPA Cincinnati recently concluded its election for leadership in the next two years. Prince Ellis (Information Technology Department Chair, Brown Mackie College) was re-elected to a second 2-year term as the chapter's vice president of finance.

The election turned on Prince's past BDPA achievements. He helped organize the annual awards banquet, served as an instructor during the chapter's computer camp and worked closely with the BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) to generate a record-breaking amount of revenue for the Cincinnati chapter. He attended most of the chapter events and successfully managed the chapter's funding.
Prince said, "I will continue to ensure zero-based budgeting and ensure that the chapter has funding for our events and programs."
The BDPA Cincinnati chapter leadership for 2012-2013 is:

Dalric Webb, Wanda Gray, Prince Ellis and Clarence Larcarte
BDPA Cincinnati has been around since 1989. It is a 4-time winner of the 'Chapter of the Year' honors on a national level and remains a powerhouse on both a regional and national level. The eyes of the nation will be watching Clarence as he takes the chapter to higher levels in the coming months and years .

Seasons Greetings from the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter!

The BDPA Cincinnati Board of Directors (BOD) would like to wish you and your family Happy Holidays and a joyful New Year. We have been working throughout the year to bring services throughout the year to BDPA Cincinnati members, potential members, corporate sponsors, entrepreneurs and supporters.

Here are some of our 2011 chapter accomplishments:

1. Student IT Education & Scholarship (SITES) Program
  • Record-breaking grant revenue
  • Christ Church Cathedral “Parishioners Grant” submitted and Approved $500
  • Christ Church Cathedral “Community Grant” submitted and Approved for $15,000
  • Procter & Gamble submitted and Approved for $5,000
  • Membership grew to 64 in 2011
  • Corporate Sponsorship Growth
  • AAKOBB Financial Services
  • Cincinnati Bell
  • Cincinnati State Technical College
  • Eastern Personnel Services
  • HP
  • Resolvit Resources
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Strategic Alliances
Wanda Gray & Clarence Larcarte

As we move into to 2012, I’d like to say goodbye as the BDPA Cincinnati President and welcome our new President – Clarence Larcarte. He and the 2012-2013 BOD are working on plans to continue to provide services to Cincinnati and the surrounding areas.

Sincerely,
Wanda Gray , president
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

Bikram Sapkota joined BDPA Cincinnati chapter in 2011 as part of its Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. He participated in the chapter's computer camp and competed in the 2011 national BDPA High School Computer Competition championship here in Chicago.

He shared his testimonial on the experience with us:
Most people gain skills from their education as a child. My situation was unique. My parents were Bhutanese. They were forced to leave their country because of ethnic cleansing. Our family was forced to move to Nepal, a landlocked country, where we settled for 17 years as refugees. We had few opportunities to develop our skills in various fields because our life was always in exile and in debt. We lived under United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) support while in Nepal.

My life as a refugee was not satisfying. I could never explore my interest in computer technology because my family couldn’t afford the money to do so. Fortunately, we were able to re-locate in the United States a few years ago. I am now at high school in Ohio and I am able to learn what it takes to be successful in computer technology world. Also, I want to be able to do something for the community and my new country in the future.

Many people would fear a move to a place where they have few acquaintances. However, I am confident in my ability to make a valuable contribution because of my experiences in meeting new people in the past. I hope that my experiences in America will continue to be free from prejudice and premature judgments. I do my part by pulling together groups of people into leisure activities and outings that provide an incentive for people to learn about each other and be nice to each other.

I think that my best assets are my communication skills and various computer skills. I gained most of my computer skills from BDPA Cincinnati chapter when I participated in their 2011 computer camp. I plan to use many of the skills that BDPA taught me to eventually study interactive web multimedia when I go to college.

My skills in multimedia, web design and teamwork improved during my time with BDPA. I was proud to be selected on the High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team that represented Cincinnati in the 2012 national HSCC championship in Chicago. It was my first computer competition. It was a friendly environment and our coaches and judges cared about us at every step as we tried to find success. I had fun while in Chicago, but it was also very challenging.

I think that my BDPA experiences have also made me want to become an entrepreneur in the future. Entrepreneurs tend to demonstrate a driving ambition to succeed. I want to go college and setup my future so that I have choices. Mostly, I want to be a great person in the future.

Bikram has a unique story ... however, it is a story that is shared by hundreds of young people every year who participate in BDPA programs around the nation. It is the reason that BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) works so hard to raise the money to increase the number of students engaged with BDPA chapters around the nation.

You can make a difference by donating to any of our BDPA scholarship programs. Share some BDPA-Love for Bikram and other HSCC alumni by replying to this message or making a donation or both!
I met Taft High School student Curtis Mimes last summer at the BDPA Midwest Regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC) and IT Showcase when I served as a judge for the programming event. I saw right away that Curtis was a leader with great potential. One of the guests at that event was Cincinnati Bell chief information officer Kevin Murray. Kevin had nothing but high praises for Curtis based on his performance as a summer intern within the Cincinnati Bell information technology department.

Our blog is pleased to share the thoughts of this young squire about his BDPA experiences:
My local training with BDPA Cincinnati chapter was short --- I joined the program late because I had just made up with my mother and moved back to Cincinnati. I found the program exhilarating, and I loved the chance to improve my problem-solving skills by working on complex, timed business problems. Our instructor, Mr. Frank Hill, was very engaging in his lessons about ASP.NET, VB.NET, and mySQL—all very marketable skills.

The National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship was a valuable experience. The programming problem at the competition was more difficult than usual (according to Mr. Hill) by making us set up the databases for use. Although we did not win, the experience provided me something to strive towards. I am ecstatic that I got the opportunity to participate as a representative from the city of Cincinnati. I now know what “crunch time” feels like for a programmer. Between the banquets and the programming section of the test, I had a blast. Most importantly, I learned what I did know as well as what I didn't know.

My experience with BDPA affirmed that my career will be in the programming track. Also, it gave me the opportunity to experience website design. Although creating web applications will not be my main occupation, a few contracts on the side could be lucrative and fun. Since I knew what I wanted to do before I joined BDPA it did not change my career goals, but it did widen them.

BDPA impacts hundreds of students like Curtis each and every year in our youth technology programs. Our challenge is to find the money to fund the books, facilities, supplies, materials, lunches and other expenses. BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is committed to finding the necessary funds.

If you are inspired by Curtis' testimonial then we encourage you to make a donation to our college scholarship fund that supports BDPA Cincinnati chapter students.
Our community continues to march into a brave new world. The idea of working for a large employer for 40 years to get the ‘gold watch’ at retirement seems like a nostalgic memory. The influence of entrepreneurs in the marketplace is more prevalent today than ever. Jobs continue to shift overseas and the workforce for Fortune 100 companies continues to shrink. All of these trends position the entrepreneur as a major factor in filling the gaps that now exist in the job market.

BDPA Cincinnati chapter, a nonprofit organization made up of racially diverse information technology professionals who advance the careers of African Americans from the classroom to the boardroom, wants to assist BDPA entrepreneurs with programs that allow them to grown in knowledge and influence.

The education and networking process continues on Thursday, February 16, 2012 at the Procter and Gamble Winton Hills Business Center (6105 Center Hill Drive, Cincinnati 45224), when BDPA shares the entrepreneurial story of ConnXus chief executive officer Rod Robinson. As the founder and managing partner of consulting firm Accell Advisors, Rod has worked with Fortune 100 companies to improve or create strategic sourcing and supplier diversity programs. He previously served as Chief Procurement Officer for Cincinnati Bell, where he drove more than $14 million in annual purchasing cost reductions while increasing spending with minority business enterprises by 42%.

Come hear how Rod has taken his expertise and background in corporate America to create profitable businesses as an entrepreneur. His company, ConnXus, is an online service that seeks to revolutionize supplier diversity by making it easy for minority- and woman-owned businesses to connect with corporations looking for diverse suppliers and offering real contract opportunities. Since launching in December 2010, corporate buyer members have posted more than $75 million in contract opportunities for diverse supplier members on the site.

BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Clarence Larcarte said, “There has never been more of a need for what BDPA offers; an opportunity to acquire the skills, knowledge and relationships that will enable you to prosper in this and any other economic climate.”

BDPA stays on the leading edge from innovations in technology, to influencing how businesses are managed, to mentoring a new generation of "would be" entrepreneurs. The chapter meeting on February 16th is free and open to the public. Please RSVP - http://cincy-2012feb.eventbrite.com/ and you are encouraged to bring colleagues, co-workers or friends with you as well!

For more information you can reach BDPA by email (cincinnati@bdpa.org) or phone (513.956-0636).
L-R: Mimes, Dawson, Pulliam and Sylvester.

BDPA Cincinnati proudly announced the finalists for its team that will be representing the chapter and the city in the 2012 National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship to be held in Baltimore later this year. The 2012 national HSCC finalists are:
  1. Micaiah Dawson, 10th grade, Winton Woods High School
  2. Hadiya Harrigan, 11th grade, Seven Hill High School
  3. Hasani Harrigan, 9th grade, Seven Hill High School
  4. Curtis Mimes, 12th grade, William Taft High School
  5. Brian Pulliam, 11th grade, Fairfield High School
  6. Malik Sylvester, 11th grade, Mason High School
BDPA Cincinnati chapter recently completed a remarkable Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program that included a computer camp with 14 students from 7th grade to 12th grade. The students learned HTML, CSS, jQuery, PHP, and MySQL.

The class was taught by a number of volunteers including Richard Afunah, Frank Hill and Deborah Prince in a computer lab provided by Cincinnati State Technical College.  The chapter is also pleased to recognize the financial support provided by Christ Church Cathedral, Cincinnati Bell and others ... financial support necessary to share these meaningful STEM-based experiences provided with these young people.

BDPA Cincinnati chapter has high expectations for this year's team and looks forward to them bringing home the gold medal from the national championship! The actual team should be named before the end of the month.

We learned today that Joseph Parker, our chapter's Vice President of Member Services (VPMS), would be stepping down to spend more time with his family.  Joe served in that leadership position for the past couple of years.   It seems like only yesterday that I first met Joe when he took on the challenge of delivering the 2011 BDPA Midwest Regional HSCC Championship and IT Showcase.  His efforts were very much appreciated by the scores of students, parents, volunteers and sponsors in attendance for that all-day event.

Joe accepted the challenge of being one of the highest ranking officers for BDPA Cincinnati chapter shortly after the regional event concluded.  Under Joe's executive leadership our chapter delivered a series of remarkable program meetings, another Midwest Regional High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship event and increased communications efforts in a variety of social media platforms.

However, I think that Joe's lasting legacy is the support that he gave to the chapter's Outreach Department director (Deborah Prince) and Computer Camp coordinator (Frank Hill) as they delivered two more outstanding years of Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) programming.   Students from our chapter competed well in both the 2011 and 2012 National BDPA HSCC championships.  Our 2012 HSCC team finished in 7th place (out of 45 eligible chapters) ... our highest ranking in over a decade.  Joe also presided as our VPMS at a time when we sent 4 students to the 2011 BDPA IT Showcase in Chicago.

Finally, Joe's department opened up a new relationship with Taft Elementary School where BDPA volunteers are spending quality time each Thursday to tutor 3rd-thru-6th graders in our TECHie Club program.

BDPA tends to burn out its volunteers who serve in leadership positions.  I just want to make sure that Joe and his family realize that the time, talent and energy that he put into BDPA Cincinnati chapter over the past couple of years was very much appreciated!

I know that the rest of BDPA-nation joins me in wishing Joe the best in his retirement from the chapter's board of directors.  However, we expect him to maintain his annual membership ... and to visit us when his calendar allows at our monthly meetups!

Sincerely,
Wayne Hicks, past president
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

It’s an exciting time to be a part of BDPA Cincinnati!  Why? When talent, passion and commitment collide, how can that NOT be exciting??!!!

Clarence Larcarte

The leadership of the organization is so full of energy it amazing! Let me introduce you to them:

In 2013, we push forward with our mission of advancing Information Technology (IT) careers from the classroom to the boardroom. We live out this mission through youth-oriented programs such as SITES, High School Computer Competition, TECHie Club and IT Showcase as well as monthly professional program meetings and quarterly workshops.

If you’ve been around BDPA Cincinnati at all in the past this may sound familiar, but I can assure you that it is not business as usual. Any organization which hopes to remain vibrant and relevant must constantly adapt and BDPA is no exception. So, our leadership think tank has come up with creative new ideas as well as new spins on old ideas so that we can continue to provide value to our members. You can see some snip-its below, but if you really want to learn how you can benefit or how you can help, you really should join us.

Our efforts center around the creation of a vibrant pipeline of IT talent, with our events being centered around the concepts of LEARN MORE, EARN MORE, DO MORE!!

LEARN MORE: Build new skills and strengthen old ones - Get youth involved early in IT or learn a new professional and/or technical skill to apply towards your current career or to land a new position or promotion.

• SITES – HSCC, IT Showcase
  • Techie Club
  • Quarterly Technical Workshops
  • Monthly Program Meetings - March 20th - Blacks In Technology

EARN MORE: Use your new skills and expanding network to improve your financial position - Translate your academic prowess into financial success

• J.O.B—Jobs Opportunities Board
  • Yearly Career Fair
  • Professional Networking (Spring/Summer Mixers)
  • Entrepreneurship SIG
  • BDPA Job Board, www.ITDiversityCareers.com

DO MORE: Use your talents to improve your community - Each one, teach one.

We are excited to partner with you to create a promising IT future!!

Best Regards,
Clarence Larcarte, President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA