Cincinnati

Brenda Gunn-Hogan shared the following message with members of the BDPA Cincinnati chapter. She gives a great review of accomplishments over the past two years for her chapter. Here is her message:

To: BDPA Members and Supporters

It has been a pleasure serving as your President for the last two years. I want to thank everyone for all the support and encouragement you have given me. We have been very successful this past year and I would like to share those successes and all the progress we have made together. To name a few:
  • Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship Program (SITES) High School Computer Camp
  • The Leadership Connection - BDPA Cincinnati's mentoring program
  • IT Fusion - Emerging Trends in Information Technology, a panel of senior IT experts discussed technical innovations occurring today and ended the year with another great IT Fusion presentation from Kenneth Frank
  • Our Corporate Advisory Council (CAC) was active again this year providing leadership and support
  • The celebration of our volunteers and sponsors - 7th Annual Awards Luncheon took place at the Bankers Club
  • Project Management Prep Class
  • Midwest Regional Computer Competition
  • BDPA Cincinnati Annual Cookout
  • At the BDPA National Conference students representing Cincinnati:
    • Participated in High School Computer Competition
    • Participated in Youth Conference
    • Placed first and second place respectively in the high school portion of the 2007 BDPA IT Showcase
  • During the BDPA National Conference the Cincinnati chapter:
    • Honored with the Professional Development award
    • Won 2nd place Chapter of the Year award
  • Annual Education Luncheon to honor the students that participated in the Computer program as well as the volunteers that make it happen
In closing, I would again like to thank all those who volunteered their time and the Board of Directors who worked long hours to make these advancements possible. I would hope that our renewed commitment would allow the same for the New Year as Janice Lee begins her reign as president! It is this commitment that keeps BDPA strong.

Best wishes for the New Year and always, Brenda Gunn Hogan 2006-2007 President BDPA Cincinnati

Please take a moment to share some love with Brenda and some words of encouragement and support with Janice!

Replies to this Topic

BDPA Cincinnati chapter announces the opening of the 2015 Student Information Technology Education and Scholarship (SITES) program. The SITES program offers cutting edge STEM training to areas High School and College Students. 2015 is the 19th year for SITES program. The program will begin on January 10th at Cincinnati State Technical College. Students can preview the program content and complete the application for training sessions on the www.bdpa-camp.org web site. The SITES program contain a number of distinct offerings for students and opportunities to win college scholarships.

Computer Camp – a disciplined 13-week program for students in 8th through 12th grades. The computer camp covers Visual Basic Applications, Mobile Phone Applications, Web Development, Programming Automation Controllers, Robotics, 3D Printing, Internet Of Things, Information Technology Theory and History, and Professional Development. This training provides students with IT theory and hands-on activities as well as exposure to leading technical professionals in the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky areas.

High School Computer Competition (HSCC) -The BDPA National High School Computer Competition, was founded in 1986 by Dr. Jesse Bemley, of Washington, D.C. What started as a two-team event between Washington, D.C. and Atlanta, GA. has grown to over 20 teams of various high school students from within the 46 chapters across the nation. It's designed to introduce our youth to the field of Information Technology, challenge their learnings, encourage them to seek higher levels of education, and groom many of them to become our next generation of IT professionals. HSCC is a 28-week program that prepares students to compete in a 3 step competition that demonstrates IT prowess. The competition consists of an oral component, a written component, and a very competitive programming component. Students are taught to master ASP.NET Programming, JavaScript Programming, Structured Query Language, MySQL Database and Microsoft Visual Studio in a succinct and efficient manner. Students will have the ability to develop a complete database driven application in seven hours after completing this training. Additionally, students are coached on working effectively in teams, team building, leadership, and academic discipline. The top winners of this competition are awarded scholarships at the National BDPA Conference in addition to any local chapter recognition or awards.

IT Showcase – The BDPA Information Technology Showcase allows student presenters from educational institutions across the United States, to present and demonstrate their research. The presentations represent advanced computing and technical topics presented by college and high school students to an audience of corporate representatives and IT professionals. IT professionals and educator mentor students and help them prepare for a national competition. Top students are awarded scholarships at the National BDPA Conference.

Mobile Application Showcase - The National BDPA Mobile Application Showcase allows student application developers the opportunity to participate in a competition that allows them to an opportunity to test their talents against others and develop a working, functional Mobile Application, at no cost to themselves. The applications being showcased will represent three different application categories (i.e. business, personal productivity, and gaming). Each category will have stringent requirements to be met in advance to the showcase. The top winners of this showcase are awarded scholarships at the National BDPA Conference.

BDPA Cincinnati had an exceptional training year in 2014 which culminated in students winning $15,625 in scholarships for their performance at the 2014 National BDPA Conference. The chapter is looking forward to an even greater training year in 2015 engaging more minority students and bringing even greater rewards back to Cincinnati.

We have turned back our clocks one hour as the weather begins to cool off and chill on some days but your BDPA chapter is still SMOKING on executing our 2014 Action Plan! The leadership team of volunteers had a hugely successful 2015 Strategy and Planning session last month with several new board members in attendance lending fresh ideas and energy to an already pumped up team of volunteers. You can expect not only a continuation of the successful monthly programs and communications that were delivered in 2014, but look for an uptick in our SITES efforts and professional development efforts as well! Your teams of volunteer leaders are laser-focused on building and strengthening the bridges for professionals and our underserved students to advance their information technology opportunities "from the classroom to the boardroom".

Just because it is getting colder out we still want each and every member to come out and join us at this month's program meeting on November 19, 2014. This month we will have the honor of having Stephen Lett engaging with us 'Insights Through Data Visualization'.  We hope to see you there.

In the event you haven't seen any of our recent press releases, or the latest copy of the organizational newsletter, please join me in welcoming the newest volunteer members to our Board of Directors: Norman Phillips (Procter & Gamble), William Carter (Collaborative New Ventures), Lesley Floyd (US Bank), Carl Matthews (Group Three Systems) and Audra Sweeney (Honeywell). These newest members of our dynamic professional team will help raise the bar on our effectiveness and efficiency in delivering greater value to you, our members, to our corporate sponsors and supporters, and to the individual members of our communities.

Speaking of which, there are still a few more open positions on the board for others to step forward and join the team. Do you have a passion to make a difference in your community? Would inspiring a child to reach greater heights in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math be of interest to you? Can you serve as a role model to our underserved youth? Are you good at planning? Project Management? Or do you need to expand your personal board of directors and build stronger professional network connections with some of the area's leading technology professionals? Then you should sincerely consider an opportunity on the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter Board. You will find yourself amongst great company in giving back through volunteering your time.

We continue to grow our membership and expect to pass the 200 member mark by the end of 2014. This tremendous growth is a partial testament to the value others find in the organization. Get engaged and learn how you too can benefit more from your membership. Bring your ideas and suggestions to the monthly program meetings or to any board of director member. We welcome your input.

As always, your feedback is earnestly solicited. How is your BDPA membership working out for you? How can we improve the value of your membership? Send me a note or pull me to the side at the monthly program meeting. This is YOUR chapter. Are you feeling engaged?

Sincerely,
Dalric Webb, president
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

Dalric Webb

I hope everyone enjoyed a joyful, relaxing and ful-FILLING Thanksgiving holiday filled with family, friends, and loved ones. Thanksgiving time reminds me of our BDPA family, working together for the common good, individually, collectively, and for our communities. It is with this 'holiday spirit” in mind that I share with you my final monthly message for 2014.

Without a pause, we will close out the year with our final program meeting, 'Productivity in the Workplace' on 12/18/14. Under the leadership of the VP-Member Services Karen Lipscomb and Professional Development director Babacar Guisse, we have completed twelve (12) highly informative and engaging  professional networking sessions each month this year. These sessions have not only been fantastic opportunities to broaden and sharpen the technical acumen of the attendees, but have also been synergistic opportunities between recruiters who have attended these sessions each and every month, and those individuals looking for other opportunities.  Each session highlights a point of the vast technical space we live in and each has provided a nugget or two of information we find useful. You should look for even more engagement with our members and the professional community in 2015!

Secondly, I have to again bring just a little more attention to the OUTSTANDING work done with our Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program this yearKaren Lipscomb, Outreach director Deborah Prince and SITES coordinator Frank Hill joined with a host of volunteers to execute a superb SITES program the resulted in over $15,000 in college scholarships being awarded to students within our chapter.   There is an excellent write-up in the current edition of “About Greater Cincinnati” that sets the bar high for 2015 in our youth education programming.

Thirdly, let me talk about membership.  VP-Membership Management Wayne Hicks and his team of volunteers have knocked the ball out of the park in 2014 with over 150% membership growth! The team has developed a succinct process for quickly closing on membership opportunities and has worked hard all year to bring greater ROI-value proposition for your membership.   Additionally, this team has really TURNED UP the bar on marketing our chapter’s efforts and successes. BDPA has often, unfortunately been considered a well-kept secret. While there is some value in remaining under-exposed as an organization, there is much greater value in being able to effectively and efficiently tell our story (after all, if we don’t tell our story, who will?). Wayne, Karen and their teams worked together to share the operational successes of our chapter, our students and our members. This exposure goes a long way in gaining additional support which ultimately enables the volunteers to do more.

Next, let me share the continued growth in your volunteer board leadership - Carmen Byes (Communications), William Carter (Planning), Lesley Floyd (Alliances), Babacar Guisse (Professional Development), Steve Gutter (VP-Finance), Wayne Hicks, Frank Hill, Ellery Lewis (VP-Fundraising), Karen Lipscomb, Carl Matthews (Chapter Organization), Patrick Nelson (Member Benefits), Norman Phillips (VP-Strategy & Planning), Deborah Prince, Michael Pulliam (Contact Management), Debbie Sanders (Internal-External) and Audrey Sweeney (Membership) - as they delivered on a wide variety of efforts and programs in the past year.   This harmonious team continues to drive process improvements, improve the effectiveness of the chapter organization, and find new ways to bring value to our members, to each other, to our sponsors, and to our communities. There are only a few open positions left on the board. Now is your chance to join our team as we move into 2015.   The time is perfect for you to help us take BDPA to the next level.

Finally, a short word about our sponsors. This year we have had the honor and benefit of UNWAVERING support from Brown Mackie College, Cincinnati Bell, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati State Technical College, Delta Gateway Foundation, GE, Northern Kentucky University, Per Scholas, Procter & Gamble, The Circuit, University of Cincinnati. As a non-profit organization, no matter how much good we endeavor to accomplish for our youth, the technology professionals, and our communities, we couldn’t do it without the timely support and follow-through from our sponsors. These organizations are directly responsible for ensuring your local BDPA chapter receives timely support.   The funding and encouragement from these sponsors keeps our strong body of volunteers going. We sincerely appreciate all of the support received and look forward to adding new sponsors in 2015.

As we look to the end of 2015, the Christmas season, and brighter days ahead, may all of your loads be light, may your journey be short, and may your results exceed your own expectations in all that you endeavor. Wishing each and every one of you and your families, a safe and enjoyable holiday season and a return to engaging with your local chapter anew in 2015.

Sincerely,
Dalric Webb, president
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

BDPA Cincinnati chapter, a nonprofit organization made up of racially diverse information technology professionals, announced a new member of its executive team. Norman Phillips was named the Vice President of Strategy & Planning (VPSP). Norman is an IT architect and manager of business transformation for over 30 years at Procter & Gamble (P&G). P&G is the largest corporation in Cincinnati. Norman is a YMCA Black Achiever as well as a volunteer with the youth ministries at Lincoln Heights Missionary Baptist. Norman received his computer sciences degree from Southern University.

I am honored and humbled to be appointed to the Cincinnati BDPA Board of Directors. BDPA was a strong influence in my life during my college years back in the 80’s and I am impressed with the influence it continues to have on the IT industry today,” says Norman Phillips. “Technology Innovation is more critical now than ever in determining the success of our nation and it is up to us to develop the future technology leaders, especially with our people of color. I have more than 30 years’ experience in the technology industry and feel I can help mold and inspire our next generation of leaders to get involved in Science and Technology. BDPA is one of the vehicles I plan to use to bring others into the technology industry.

In his new role, Norman works with a team of volunteers to develop and maintain the BDPA Cincinnati strategy and future planning process. His responsibilities also include managing organizational alliances, conducting assessments of BDPA and improving image of BDPA Cincinnati.

"We are delighted to have Norman join BDPA Cincinnati chapter as its VPSP. Norman brings a wealth of technical acumen and professionalism through an extensive network of contacts and personal relationships," says BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Dalric Webb. “We look forward to Norman helping set the strategic vision for the chapter for the next 3 - 5 years as we work to strengthen our partnerships within and throughout the greater Cincinnati area."

BDPA Cincinnati chapter is the second-largest chapter in the nation. BDPA is the premier organization for African American professionals in the information technology industry. For more than 25 years, BDPA Cincinnati has fulfilled its mission and worked to bridge the digital divide by providing career growth opportunities for its members. BDPA represents more than 3,000 members in 46 active chapters located across the United States.

Na'Shawnda Peterson

BDPA Cincinnati chapter, a nonprofit organization made up of racially diverse information technology professionals, announced a new member of its executive team. Na’Shawnda Peterson was named President-Elect and will become the chapter’s president in 2016-2017. Na’Shawnda is a business solutions manager at GE Aviation. She is responsible for maintaining IT infrastructure for a world-leading provider of jet and turboprop engines. Na’Shawnda attended both the College of Wooster and the University of Cincinnati.

"I am very excited to be a part of this wonderful organization and use my expertise to support its mission. I look forward to a great year and making a difference in our community," says Na’Shawnda Peterson.

In her new role, Na’Shawnda coordinates the activities of the chapter vice presidents with an emphasis on chapter operations, corporate sales and marketing. Also, she serves as the assistant vice-president of the finance business area.

We are very excited to have Na'Shawnda join the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter Board of Directors”, said BDPA chapter president Dalric Webb. “Na'Shawnda brings over 15 years of technical experience and professionalism to the team. Her engagement is a key pillar in our long-term strategy to advance the careers of technology professionals from the classroom to the boardroom.

BDPA Cincinnati chapter is the second-largest chapter in the nation. The chapter meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. In fact, the chapter meets next on Wednesday, March 18th to discuss ‘Innovation and Minority Entrepreneurs’ at Brown Mackie College (1011 Glendale Milford Road; Cincinnati OH 45215).

BDPA Cincinnati is the 2nd largest chapter in the nation. The chapter experienced remarkable success last year in terms of its programs, scholarships and services.  The chapter now extends invitation to all BDPA members, sponsors and stakeholders to attend its 10th Annual Awards Luncheon on Friday, April 10, 2015.

One of the main highlights of the event will be to honor the Member of the Year, Director of the Year, Corporate Sponsor of the Year and Spirit Award.

Here are the logistic for this banquet:

Friday, April 10, 2015
11:30am - 1:00pm

Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber
3 E. 4th Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Tickets: $25.00 per person

You can purchase or donate banquet tickets here.   For rates on tables and ads, please contact us at (513) 549-6441 or luncheon.cincy@bdpa.org

Dalric Webb

As we enter the last month of the first quarter in 2015, BDPA Cincinnati is still putting the pedal to the metal! In case you haven’t been keeping up with the postings on the chapter's Groupsite page, there has been a flurry of activity in the last month and coming up as well! The BDPA Computer Camp team has rounded the corner and is now going into week #11 of its schedule.

The students have done EXCEPTIONALLY well in absorbing the teachings from BDPA volunteers. Many of the students have already completed interactive webpages. We are looking forward to our students competing in the upcoming BDPA Midwest Regional High School Computer Competition on June 20th. BDPA will use the regional competition to finalize on the members of the HSCC team that we plan to take to the 37th Annual BDPA Technology Conference in Washington DC. We are counting on the support of family, friends, sponsors and volunteers as these students move on their journey 'from the classroom to the boardroom'.

Rodney Swope

Our 2nd Annual IT Recruiters Roundtable was held on one of the coldest nights of the year. However, the energy in the room heated everyone up! Our chapter's VP-Member Services, Karen Lipscomb, led the panel discussion focused on hiring tips, job opportunities and timely resources. Our March 2015 program meeting will feature Rodney Swope, Minority Business Accelerator director, who will share key insights on being an entrepreneur and connecting to the vibrant economic and innovation ecosystems within Cincinnati. We hope spend the evening with us to learn from Rodney, network with like-minded professionals and enjoy some light refreshments.

BDPA Cincinnati encourages you to join us on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 6:30 pm for island-style dining and salsa dancing at Margaritaville in downtown Cincinnati. Enjoy a one-of-a-kind tropical experience at the Margaritaville Restaurant at the Horseshoe Casino. The fun really starts at 7:30 pm when BDPA member Malik Spencer gives us lessons on Salsa dancing! Malik has taught dance workshops all over town and we look forward to seeing the improved Salsa techniques of our guests on March 25th!

Finally, we hope that all of our supporters, sponsors and volunteers will make plans to join us at the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber for the 10th Annual BDPA Awards Luncheon being held on Friday, April 10, 2015 @ 11:30. We will recognize both the 'Member of the Year' and the 'Corporate Sponsor of the Year' at this celebration. Tickets are only $25.00 and you are encouraged to RSVP right away!

2015 is off to a FANTASTIC start! Our chapter membership grew to more than 200 in February! We hope to continue that trend with the active engagement of our members. Remember, this is YOUR organization. What are you looking to get out of it? What are you putting into it to obtain those results? Are you engaged? Did you attend the last program meeting? The last social? The last computer camp session? The chapter is ACTIVE in our communities – we’d love to have you join us.

Looking forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming events!

Sincerely,
Dalric Webb, President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

Dalric Webb
Hello fellow BDPA Cincinnati members!

We want to welcome those of you who took advantage of the opportunity to renew your BDPA membership for FREE last month! National BDPA president Pamela Sexton allowed any lapsed member a chance to renew their membership for a full year at no cost. Over 60 people took her up on the offer and our chapter retains its title as the LARGEST BDPA CHAPTER IN THE NATION for the third month in a row! Please make a special effort to come out and engage with your fellow chapter members at upcoming program meetings or social events.

We are ROLLING through the summer months and your BDPA chapter volunteers are sweating profusely with the efforts at delivering value to you, our members. How you ask? I’m glad you asked! Let me articulate the ways your volunteers are demonstrating a nice return on investment (ROI).

2015 Computer Camp Students
Did you show your support to the two High School Computer Camp teams (one from Cincinnati and one from Indianapolis) that met on June 20th to compete in a Midwest Regional Computer Competition in preparation for the final showdown in DC next month at the 37th Annual BDPA Technology Conference? Certainly you felt obliged to show these bright and rising future technologist some support as they have invested up to 30 Saturdays learning the computing technology skills that not only will make them winners at the National competition, but also make them successful in life – perhaps even providing employment opportunities for another crew of young technologist as they lead companies of their own? The ROI in investing in our youth is priceless.

But perhaps that doesn’t do it for you?

Kevin Murray and Dalric
How about attending last month’s program meeting where Cincinnati Bell chief information officer Kevin Murray shared his insights on 'The Internet of Things'? Any value in that type of face time and interaction? Does the fact that there are a number of technology recruiters attending each of our program meetings LOOKING TO HIRE, add any more value? How about networking with a room full of your peers, entrepreneurs, movers and shakers in the community? Are your value proposition chords singing yet? No?

Well how about giving back? There are over 25 volunteer board positions within our chapter structure. Each board position plays a critical role in delivering value to our members, our youth and our local community. There are a few vacancies on the board and several volunteering opportunities that do not fill a board seat. Would investing about four (4) hours a month into such a worthwhile cause seem a good investment of your time and energy? Being a part of a powerful and growing team of digital technology professionals that have a strategic plan to improve the number of diverse individuals in the digital technology fields, how is that for a cause you can get behind and run with?

Dr. Tyra Oldham
The next opportunity to engage with the chapter and the community is Wednesday, July 15, at the Woodlawn campus of Brown Mackie College. Click here to register for this DYNAMIC session where Dr. Tyra Oldham leads us in a discussion on 'Smart Grid Technology'. As always, our program meetings are open to the public, free of charge AND we provide food and beverages! I hope to see you there. As always, BRING YOUR RESUME! Hiring recruiters are ALWAYS in attendance.

Check out our entire calendar of events.  Register to attend any of our events. Keep an eye out for the announcement of our Annual Education Banquet in a few months! We need you there in support! Also, please share your input and feedback on these events and any others you would like to see or participate in. We value your opinion and recommendations.

That’s all I have for now. I’m excited about how well the chapter is doing in executing to our strategic plan laid out by the board last year. We have a strong team that can only get stronger with your active participation. Thank you to all the volunteers who have stepped forward and continue to give just a little bit of time that adds up to the chapter making big things happen! You are all AWESOME and I am proud to be a part of this team.

Sincerely,
Dalric Webb , President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter
Dalric Webb
Greetings!

As we begin the 4th quarter of 2015, your BDPA Cincinnati Chapter is still GOING STRONG! The leadership team has held several key strategic meetings with sponsors and supporters in the last month to build and sustain chapter operations, improve the way the chapter operates and return value to our members, sponsors and supporters. Most important, our chapter seeks to drive improvements into the programs we deliver that improve the diversity numbers in STEM “from the classroom to the boardroom”.

BDPA Cincinnati continues to sit atop of the National BDPA list as the LARGEST BDPA Chapter in the nation for its 6th consecutive month! Congratulations to all as each of you make this chapter great. I do hope you are engaged with the chapter in not only your membership, but what you desire from the chapter. We are only as strong as each of your engagement efforts – so let us know how we can help you get more engaged!

Speaking of engagement, I hope you are planning to show your support by either attending our upcoming Education Banquet on October 24, 2015 at Receptions Conference Center.  Our keynote speaker for the evening will be LISNR chief executive officer Rodney Williams. You can purchase a ticket or buy an ad in our program booklet. Brenda Hogan (Duke Energy) is again leading our annual recognition ceremony highlighting the students who committed themselves to over 28 weeks of hands-on training EVERY SATURDAY and went on to compete in the National BDPA National High School Computer Competition championship held a few weeks ago in Washington DC. Also, we take some time at this education banquet to recognize the hard working volunteers who make this chapter so successful! Please be a part of this celebration. It is a great night of networking and appreciation for our efforts at making a difference in the lives of many in our communities. I hope to see you there.

As we turn towards the fall, the BDPA leadership team is planning ahead for 2016! Under the direction of Vice President, Strategy and Planning, Norman Phillips (Procter & Gamble), the team has scheduled the 2016 Strategy and Planning meeting for October 25, 2015. At this planning session, the team will put together the short and long-term planning that will take the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter to the next level of impact in our community! Under the careful leadership of our President-Elect Na'Shawnda Peterson (GE Aviation), our chapter is poised to increase the impact of our operations in 2016. All are welcomed to attend, however your RSVP is required to properly account for food. If interested in attending, please send me an email to confirm your attendance.

Another engagement opportunity is the program meeting which happens the 3rd Wednesday of every month at Brown Mackie College in Woodlawn. This month, we have the honor and pleasure of hosting Vince Kilian  (Marxent) to discuss 'The Future of Augmented and Virtual Reality' on October 21, 2015. Marxent is the leader in virtual reality and augmented reality product visualization for sales and marketing. This promises to be a VERY exciting and engaging networking opportunity you do not want to miss! Register today as these events are expected to sell out. Oh, and when you come to the program meeting, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR RESUME! There are always two or more recruiters in the room ACTIVELY seeking candidates for employment. Attending a program meeting could be just the game changing activity you have been looking for!

Finally, how are you feeling about your membership? Did I mention that YOUR local chapter is the largest in the nation out of 47 chapters? Did you receive your most recent issue of Diversity Comm at your home address? Have you had a chance to read through some of the articles? Which article struck a chord with you? Didn’t get your copy? Reach out to our VP-Membership Management to make sure we have your correct mailing address in the database. Do you know the Vice Presidents for your Chapter? Do you know how to reach any of the board members? When was the last time you visited the National BDPA website at www.bdpa.org? Do you like the changes you see? Do you have any recommendations on how to improve the site or provide more information to our members? We need your engagement!

Everyone has something they can contribute to making our chapter even better! Have a little time (less than 5 hours per month) on your hands? Consider joining the board. There are still a few openings available and we can certainly use your help. Take a look around the chapter home at www.bdpa.org/group/ci and read some of the job descriptions for the available leadership positions. You will find we are a fun group of professionals committed to making a difference in our local communities.

Sincerely,
Dalric Webb, President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter
Dalric Webb

Greetings!

We start the month of November having just completed the 2016 Strategy and Planning session. The volunteer leaders of the chapter have a clear vision and focus on delivering programs and engaging opportunities for BDPA members and the communities in which we live! The 2016 strategic plan was thoroughly vetted by the volunteer leaders and agreed upon as a solid plan to execute in delivering greater value to our members and the community at large.  Next year is going to be just as exciting if not more so than 2015! Staying connected to the chapter is the watchword of the day!

BDPA Cincinnati Chapter continues to be the LARGEST BDPA Chapter in the nation for its 7th consecutive month! Congratulations to each of you that helps make this chapter great. I do hope you are engaged with the chapter in not only your membership, but what you desire from the chapter. We are only as strong as each of your engagement efforts – so let us know how we can help you get more engaged!

Speaking of engagement, if you missed our 19th Annual Education Banquet, you missed a real treat as we recognized our hard working students from the BDPA computer camp as well as the incredible volunteers who make the program happen. The hard work of past chapter president Brenda Hogan produced an exceptionally well executed program that received many complements on its setup, layout, flow, and engaging opportunities. We had almost 100 registrants and the speaker, LISNR chief executive officer Rodney Williams, was phenomenal!

As we turn head towards the end of the year, we enter into our bi-annual election cycle! All members should have received an email indicating the nomination and election cycle. I encourage members to submit nominations for positions if interested and VOTE for the candidates when the election window opens. Stepping forward to lead such a strong organization as BDPA Cincinnati speaks volumes to the type of leaders you have within our ranks and within the local community. Thank you for being an active participant in the process.

Our engagement opportunity this month takes place at our November 2015 program meeting. Barb Kruetzkamp, Data Management Leader at GE Aviation, will lead an interactive discussion entitled 'Big Data - Friend or Foe?'. BE SURE TO BRING YOUR RESUME! There are always two or more recruiters in the room ACTIVELY seeking candidates for employment. Attending a program meeting could be just the game-changing activity you have been looking for!

Dr. Tyra Oldham, LANDsds chief executive officer, will host a special interest group discussion on SMARTGrid Technologies. Are you interested in participating in the discussion and getting in on the ground floor to this dynamic shift in digital engagement? Are you looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity? Be a part of the discussion and contribute to the future direction of the group. Reply to PM-SIG.cincy@bdpa.org to receive more information about this session.

Finally, how are you feeling about your membership? Did you receive your most recent issue of Diversity at your home address? Have you had a chance to read through some of the articles? Which article struck a chord with you? Didn’t get your copy? Reach out to our VP-Membership Management to make sure we have your correct mailing address in the database. Do you know who the Vice Presidents are for your Chapter? Do you know how to reach any of the board members? When was the last time you visited the National BDPA website? Do you like the changes you see? Do you have any recommendations on how to improve the site or provide more information to our members?

We need your engagement! Everyone has something they can contribute to making our chapter even better! Have a little time on your hands (say, 4 hours a month)? Consider joining the board. There are still a few openings available and we can certainly use your help. Take a look around the chapter landing page and read some of the job descriptions for the positions listed. You will find we are a fun group of professionals that are committed to making a difference in our local communities.

Looking forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming events,

Sincerely,
Dr. Dalric Webb, President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

Dr. Dalric Webb

Greetings!

As we head into the final month of the year, your BDPA Cincinnati chapter is still going strong and making a positive difference in the communities in which we live and work. From getting more students interested and excited in Information Technology and STEAM related careers, to expanding the networking of STEAM related professionals and improving job opportunities, BDPA Cincinnati Chapter continues to outperform against our goals and objectives. We are on track to end the year holding onto our LARGEST CHAPTER IN THE NATION status with a stretch goal of reaching 300 members by the end of the year! Our membership growth and retention is a direct testament and compliment to the value our members see and receive from being a part of the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter. Thank you to each of our members for your support and participation!

Program Meeting  audience

If you missed last month’s program meeting on 'Big Data - Friend or Foe?' with our honored guest speaker, Barb Kruetzkamp (GE Aviation), you missed a VERY informative session with EXCELLENT networking engagement and potential job opportunities. There were several organizational leaders in attendance as well as several recruiters actively seeking candidates for open jobs. Our program meetings are rapidly becoming known as THE place for IT/STEM connections to happen! Be sure to RSVP to attend this month’s program meeting on 'The Challenges of IT in Sub-Saharan Africa' with our special guest speaker, Russell McMahon (University of Cincinnati).

Na'Shawnda Peterson

As this is my final message as the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter President, let me take a moment to thank ALL the volunteer leaders of the chapter, the sponsors and supporters, corporate executives, and organizational recruiters who have put forth their time, talent, and treasure to make the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter such a well-run, effective, and impact organization! It has been a humble honor to be a part of this wonderful team of volunteers! To the incoming President, Na'Shawnda Peterson, we have put together a strong structure of documented processes for the chapter operations and have begun engaging several promising community and organizational partnerships for an even greater positive community impact in 2016 and beyond!

Lastly, how are you feeling about your membership? Do you know who the Vice Presidents are for your Chapter? Do you know how to reach any of the board members? When was the last time you visited the National BDPA website?  We need your engagement! Everyone has something they can contribute to making our chapter even better!  You will find we are a fun group of professionals that are committed to making a difference in our local communities.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dalric Webb, President
BDPA Cincinnati Chapter

Tammy Koontz

BDPA Cincinnati chapter, a nonprofit organization made up of racially diverse information technology professionals, today announced a new member of its board of directors. Tammy Koontz appointed to serve as the director of the chapter’s Communications Department.

BDPA Cincinnati is the largest (out of 47) chapters in the nation. The Communications Department is responsible for communicating BDPA information via all appropriate platforms (online and offline). This department is solely responsible for maintaining current and relevant content on the chapter website (www.bdpa.org/group/CI). Finally, this department ensures that chapter members have their technical articles published in both local and national publications.

"Tammy brings a deep technical and communications background to this volunteer position along with a high level of passion for student success in technology! This is a winning combination for a volunteer in this role and will enable Tammy to make a significant positive impact on both the BDPA Cincinnati Chapter operations and the communities we serve,” said BDPA Cincinnati chapter president Dalric Webb. “I look forward to having Tammy's energy, expertise, and experience on the team as we continue to drive improvements in the diversity of individuals in the Cincinnati technology industry from the classroom to the boardroom.”

Tammy has been an educator for the State of Ohio over the past 25 years. She is a member of the National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa.

Tammy says, “I will engage members in providing articles and information for the newsletter and to maintain current information as well as updates.”

BDPA Cincinnati closes out 2015 as the largest BDPA chapter in the nation. The chapter is being considered as a host for the 2017 National BDPA Technology Conference. A new chapter president is coming on board in a few weeks. This is a remarkable time for any of our Cincinnati-based supporters to reach out to the chapter by email (cincinnati@bdpa.org) or phone (513.549-6991) to discuss ways that we can work with you or your organization. Tammy got involved. Now it is time for you to do the same thing!

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA