Chapter Officers

Good morning to all. What are some of the typical officers that the chapters have? I'm sure Prez, VP, Treasurer\Finance, and possibly HSCC Coordinator. Any other ones? I ask because our chapter Hartford is lookin to get some officers installed other than the few we have.

Does your chapter typically do elections or appointments?

Edited Sat, Jul 19, 2008 6:57 AM

Replies to this Topic

Hello Matthew, 

Here is a potential list of leadership positions that you should consider for your chapter

President
Vice President - Finance
Vice President - Member Services
Vice President - Membership Management
Vice President - Strategy & Planning
HSCC Coordinator

BDPA_Department_Mission_Statements_120107.docMatthew,

My name is Ken Wilson.  I am President of BDPA Cleveland and a member of BDPA for 27 years.  Up until the mid 1990's almost all BDPA chapters had as elected officers:  President, Vice President, Treasurer, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.  Some of the typical Standing Committees were Membership, Communications, and Community Outreach.  Ad-Hoc Committees were appointed as needed.

In the mid 1990's the national organization reorganized with the purpose of transforming BDPA into operating more like a business.  As a result, the idea of "Departments" was implemented.  The departments developed were (and are): Membershp Management, Member Services, Finance Management, Business Management and Strategy & Planning.  Each department is led by a Vice President (Vice President of Finance Management, etc.).  This national structure was adopted my many local chapters.  Some chapters retained the legacy committee structure.

A prominent feature of this new departmental structure is that the Vice President of Business Management is also the "President Elect" and becomes President immediately following his/her two-year term as VP of Business Management.

In Cleveland BDPA, we have adopted a variation of the department structure (See attachment).  We added a Marketing/Alliances department replacing the Strategy & Planning department.  Our rationale for this change was the following:  Marketing was a consistent weakness of the chapter.  Most business organizations have a marketing department.  We need a marketing department.  Additionally, the Strategy & Planning function was actually more spread out throughout the leadership and that if there was a concentration of strategy & planning activity anywhere in the organization, it was being done by the President.  So we moved the strategy & planning function into the Business Management department (President Elect).  We also added a Vice President of Community Services that is essentially what most chapters call Community Outreach.  We belive that it is such a vital part of what BDPA is about that it should not be buried in a Strategy & Planning or Member Services department.  Keep in mind that you will still need someone to record minutes at your meetins, so a Recording and/or Corresponding Secretary function is still needed somewhere in your organization.  We put our Recording Secretary in the Business Management department.

Take a look at the attachment and let me know what you think.

Ken

Hi Matthew,

Philadelphia has the following officers:

Vice President - Business Management
Vice President - Finance
Vice President - Member Services
Vice President - Membership Management
Vice President - Strategy & Planning
Vice President - Education
Vice President - Professional Development
Vice President - Communications

Boston MetroWest Chapter using ETP (Enterprise Transition Plan)reflects the

National BDPA Officers--we added CIO, VP Career Development & WebMaster.We also made

President, VP Business Management/President-Elect and VP Finance elective offices and the others

are appointed with the consent of The Executive Board.

We have VJD--Volunteer Job Descriptions for all positions.

Peace!

Edwin 

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA