BDPA and what it means to be a member

Good Morning,

My name is Leslie Ogu and I am a junior at the George Washington University. I was invited to this site earlier in the year, and haven't really used it as much. So I wanted to reach out and ask how can I utilize BDPA in the best way possible? What does BDPA hope for its members to receive for joining this group or getting a membership?

Edited Mon, Jul 20, 2015 10:49 AM

Replies to this Topic

BDPA Motto: "Advancing Careers From The Classroom To The Boardroom."

Hello Leslie,

My name is Carl Matthews. I am a BDPA member and I reside in Cincinnati, OH. First, I would like to congratulate you on your mission for higher education. I believe that you can utilize the resources of BDPA to advance your career goals in information technology. On a daily basis we all receive information and give out information. I prefer to get reliable info from trusted sources who have current experience in the areas of my interest. Do you agree?

I have been part of the local BDPA chapter for over a year now. I am new to the chapter but not new to work experiences in the IT field. The best possible ways to utilize BDPA:

1. Subscribe to as many interest area sites that are offered by BDPA local chapters and national BDPA websites, there are many!
2. Determine your goals and objectives for today and after graduation.
3. Make an inventory of your current skill sets and work experience resume.
4. Do an assessment to identify any gaps in knowledge revealed by that inventory.
5. Determine what resources you need to fill those gaps of knowledge or skill.
6. Go to a local meeting, if possible, and make those your needs known.
7. Identify the who, what, when, where, and how BDPA members can help your goals.
8. Allow the BDPA membership to benefit from your volunteer contributions as well.
9. Plan how you can help the next college person benefit as you have.
10. Start you new career with the help of experienced BDPA members.

We hope that you will transfer your skills from membership and STEM training into a real job in the IT field.  That you will in turn pay that forward and help another student member in the future in some way small or large.

Best Success,

Carl Matthews

--------------------------

BDPA is an international organization with a diverse membership of professionals and students at all levels in the fields of information technology, computer science and related S.T.E.M fields. Members are actively engaged in serving the community through outreach and charting the future of the IT industry.

It's a pleasure meeting you Carl, and I thank you for your input and advice. I will definitely take those into consideration and use them moving forward.

Carl - Well done!

Leslie - Welcome to BDPA!   You are a member of the BDPA Washington DC chapter. (president, Perry Carter -- perry.carter@bdpa.org).    Please note that the annual BDPA Technology Conference will be at the Washington Hilton on August 19-21, 2015.   There are a number of college events ... including a *free* town hall meeting featuring Gen. Colin Powell on Wednesday, August 19 @ 11:30am.

You can learn more about the conference here --> http://www.bdpa.org/?2015Conference

You can learn more about BDPA Washington DC here --> http://www.bdpa.org/group/WA

You can learn more about BDPA Student programs here --> http://www.bdpa.org/?page=Students

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

BDPA